Acidic taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac_momma

Junior
Reaction score
I'm pretty new at this whole winemaking experiment, only bottled one kit and have several in the process.
I have a 1 gal. cranberry/cherry that I started last November. It was my second time and it seemed to go well.
I've racked it serveral times, added Campden tablets to it every other racking. And when I tried it the last few rackings, I had imediate heart burn.
I tested it and it was 3.6 pH. added 1 1/2t. Potassium bicarbonate and put it in a quite place to think. I haven't racked it again since but will be soon.
I have not added any sweetener yet, I wanted to get this under control first.
What should I do?
Will this go away of I add sweetener (sugar)? Is it ruined?
Any help or enlightenment would be awesome, thanks

I really doubt that it is ruined. Try drawing a glass and add a little sugar or honey to it. Not right? Add some more sugar. If that does it, make sure you stabalize it before you add sugar to the whole batch. You don't want it to start to referment if you get it how you like it. And Wecome to the forum. Arne.

I agree with Arne.

what is the PH now that you have added the bicarb?

At this point, I would not raise the PH and further. Like Arne, I also recommend that you do some bench trials with different amounts of sweetener added.

Actually I would have left the ph at 3.6. Like the others said, add some sugar and taste and take a hydrometer reading when you get it to where you like it.

Latest posts

Back