12 days without airlock.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InVinoVeritas

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I made wine in a large bottleneck demi-john, but the cork stopper I have isn't hermetic. So it will stay 12 days with this stopper until I will receive my new demi-john with hermetic stopper.

I'am on day 10, and the fermentation seems to have ended. Is it possible a fermentation to be so fast in presence of oxygen ?

Is 12 days a too long time without airlock, will my wine be contaminated by evil bacteria ?

Many of us on here ferment in an open bucket with a cloth over it to keep dirt and critters out. I think you are probably ok, but without hydrometer readings it is hard to say if you are still fermenting or not. You do not have to have a hydrometer to make wine, but it does help you know where you are at with a ferment and it can help you figure out how much alcohol you have in your wine. Arne.

it is not unusual for a fermentation to go 10 days.

if you have been fermenting for 10 days, and you have just 2 days of post fermentation time until your stopper arrives, then you should be perfectly fine.

Thanks. I was worrying about my wine.

You do not have to have a hydrometer to make wine, but it does help you know where you are at with a ferment
I'll think about buying one. I'm using a "vinometer" to know the degree of alcohol, but it isn't as precise as an hydrometer.

Vinometers are INCREDIBLY inaccurate and not really worth the money. Go with a hydrometer. They do not cost a whole lot and are way more reliable.

Latest posts

Back