Sanitizer and cleaner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
Ok veterans, it's been a long time and I want to get back into it.

What is the best sanitizer and cleaner I should use for cleaning bottles and equipment.

As usual, thank you in advance.

I use a k-meta solution. Think its 2 tbs. to a gallon of water. I mostly spritz from a spray bottle after cleaning with B-Brite (which I believe acts something like Oxylean).

I have an unopened of Star-Stan which I keep intending to try but never seem to get around to using.

I use Oxyclean (green one) to soak off labels (for a day or two), bottle brush, straight water soak for 30 minutes or so, then StarSan solution for a minute or five, then drain into the next bottle (use a funnel) and let drip dry. Place upside down in the box they came in with a layer of paper towels in the bottom to soak up any excess moisture (and don't ruin the integrity of the box bottom).

Can you spritz StarSan and have it be effective or must it be a rinse?

Depends upon what you mean by "spritz". K-Meta works on SO2 gas, so sprtizing works. Starsan works on "contact", so the entire surface must be wet.

If you use a Vinator to "sprtiz", it pushes enough starsan to wet the entire inside of the bottle.

I also use StarSan for sanitation. I recently bought the 5star brand cleaner as well, "PBW". No complaints,per se, but I do think I'll go back to 1step for my cleaner.

Last edited:
For cleaning, I use One Step or PBW (powdered brewery wash). whatever I can get in bulk from the lhbs.

Right or wrong, I have always used One Step for cleaning AND sanitizing as instructed by the local wine shop. I have read many contrary threads like this that make me wonder. I have never had a bacteria problem. Until recently I never added 1/4 tsp of kmeta before bottling either. Just followed the kit instructions and bottled. (7 years and probably 70 kits) I have have had a few bottles reach 3 years in age and no problem. Sooo...what am I doing wrong?? :?

If you've followed the kit instructions and bottled, you've bottled fairly quickly after clearing and adding SO2, no problems, you're doing nothing wrong. Extended aging in carboys and barrels depletes the free SO2, which is why we add more SO2 in subsequent racking and/or before bottling. The 1/4 tsp / 6 gallons is a rule of thumb folks use if they can't or don't want to test SO2. Ideally, before bottling, you'd test your SO2 and pH, adjust your SO2 for your wine's pH, then bottle.

So is OxiClean a viable substitute for B-Brite? [ BTW I see ~ $8.00 for 3 lbs. of Oxi vs. ~ $4.00 for 1/2 lbs. of B-Brite.]

I used to use One Step until someone pointed out to me that it is the same as the Oxyclean. The Oxyclean is significantly cheaper, that is why I switched to it.

I always wondered about that. I was not sure if Oxyclean had some stuff in it that would be bad if it came in contact with wine. One Step claims a no rinse process that assures me that it's ok. I believe I read somewhere here that there might be chlorine in Oxyclean. Is there just one Oxyclean product?

I always wondered about that. I was not sure if Oxyclean had some stuff in it that would be bad if it came in contact with wine. One Step claims a no rinse process that assures me that it's ok. I believe I read somewhere here that there might be chlorine in Oxyclean. Is there just one Oxyclean product?

Just checked... The OxiClean that my wife has in the laundry room (yellow lid, blue box) clearly indicates "CHLORINE FREE". Don't know if there are other offerings with chlorine.

Just checked... The OxiClean that my wife has in the laundry room (yellow lid, blue box) clearly indicates "CHLORINE FREE". Don't know if there are other offerings with chlorine.

Thanks Bill, I'll pick some up and save some more :mny

Latest posts

Back