Go Boomers!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
No matter what our kids And the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME !!!
OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born 1925 - 1970:

~~~~~~~~~
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived Being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank While they were Pregnant.

They took aspirin, Ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that Trauma, we were Put to sleep On our tummiesIn baby cribs
Covered
With bright colored Lead-based paints.

We had no Childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,
And, when we Rode our bikes, We had baseball Caps, Not helmets, on Our heads.

As infants and Children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, No air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the Back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one Soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, White bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave Home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights Came on.

No one was Able to reach us all day.
--And, we were OKAY.

We would spend Hours building Our go-carts out Of scraps And then ride Them down the hill, Only to find Out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned To solve the problem..

We did not Have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were No video games,
No 150 channels on cable,
No video movies Or DVDs, No surround-sound or CDs,
No cell phones, No personal computers, No Internet and No chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went Outside and found them!

We fell out Of trees, got cut, Broke bones and Teeth,
And there were No lawsuits From those accidents.

We would get Spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, And no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, And mud pies

Made from dirt, And
The worms did Not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, 22 rifles for our 12th, rode horses,made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and -although we were
Told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes Or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had Tryouts
And not everyone Made the team.
Those who didn't Had to learn
To deal with Disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing Us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have Produced some of the best risk-takers,
Problem solvers, and Inventors ever.

The past 50 To 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, Failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are One of those born Between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want To share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

"We would get Spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, And no one would call child services to report abuse. "

My sister was fond of the wooden spoon. She 'always' left the wooden spoon in the same spot in the kitchen drawer. One day her boys were in trouble and she reached into the drawer to pull out the wooden spoon that was 'always' in the same spot. She pulled it out and the boys gasped - "Really Mom?! The meat mallet?!?" We laugh at this decades later.

So has anyone else had a mother who took a nap between your brother and yourself, where she had a 36 inch yard stick in her hands as she dozed?

When you reached over her to poke your brother, everyone got smacked when she came to. She kept muttering, "I just need to close my eyes for 10 mins, can we do that? Just 10 mins."

OMG, my poor mother. No wonder I strongly identify with Nun scene in the Blue Brothers.

Just think of the things we used to play with..

Our favorite was a chemistry set just loaded with toxins like lead. From this, we learned how to make our own gun powder. HMMMM, 3 brothers, no other home around for 1/2 a mile, and the newly acquired ability to make gun powder?? Needless to say, we had fun!

How about lawn darts? As the man said, one slip up with those and you are getting coloring books for Christmas for the rest of your life. For us they were perfectly safe because dad showed us how to play with them.

We had a Honda 50 minibike that we used to ride for HOURS through trails we carved in the woods. Hmm, Riding a minibike through the woods? What could possibly happen??

My father also put in an in-ground pool. There were no life guards or fences. The only safety measure he took was to teach us how to swim the old school way. Yup, you guessed it, simply toss the kid into the deep end. Amazing how quickly we learned how to swim.

Dad had a wood shop. He was no hobbyist, he was a general contractor that did his own mill work. In that shop was a variety of machines that could put a serious hurting on a kid. At our home, these machines were perfectly safe. Why? Because dad took the time to show us how to use them, and use them we did.

I honestly think that it is not the tech gadgets that are really hurting the kids of today, it is the simple fact that parents tend to spend less time with their kids teaching them how to be responsible. As a result, they fear what danger the kid might face and have no faith that their kids can handle it.

OK, I am stepping off my soap box now....

Don't forget we played ball in the streets.......
Roamed the fields at will and just had to be home when the street lights came on,
Cheers to y'all

When I was 9 or 10, my Dad would send me 10 blocks on my bike to the gas station with 75 cents and a 2-gallon can.

My instructions were to get the lawnmower gas and buy him a pack of Salem.

A kid can't legally do either one now. :)

When I was 9 or 10, my Dad would send me 10 blocks on my bike to the gas station with 75 cents and a 2-gallon can.

My instructions were to get the lawnmower gas and buy him a pack of Salem.

A kid can't legally do either one now. :)

You probably purchased both from a guy that knew you....

You probably purchased both from a guy that knew you....

No, it was just whoever the guy was who was working the station at the time. Back then, if a kid said, "I need a pack of Salem for my Dad," they believed him. It was a completely different time, when 75 cents could cover all that, too.

Im feeling very young while reading this. I do remember windows 95, aol, dial up, the first handheld cell phones, the first ipod, the first flatscreen, and others.
I also remember hearing thunder in middle of class on 9/11 (school was about 3 miles from ground zero)

Im feeling very young while reading this. I do remember windows 95, aol, dial up, the first handheld cell phones, the first ipod, the first flatscreen, and others.
I also remember hearing thunder in middle of class on 9/11 (school was about 3 miles from ground zero)

Well, people existed in the BC years, people exist in the AD years, but I existed in the PC years (pre-computer).

Well, people existed in the BC years, people exist in the AD years, but I existed in the PC years (pre-computer).

Great days! People could not reach you every moment instantly, you never saw folks talking loudly to themselves while walking down a hall, people talked to each other over meals, drivers actually had their eyes on the road, and outdoors was not someplace you were forced to go just to find a Pokeman gym or stop.

:)

School drills for hiding under your desk in the case of a nuclear attack, using the outhouse in the winter, priming the cistern pump, fun days.

Last edited:
School drills for hiding under your desk in the case of a nuclear attack, using the outhouse in the winter, priming the cistern pump, fun days.

That must have been a hard rural upbringing. I was a city boy! :)

It seems like there was a lot more available time back then and people were not so harried because of all their "time-saving" devices.

Latest posts

Back