Anyone eve try CLOS yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4score

Reaction score
Anyone ever try CLOS yeast?

We (Norcal and I) are planning on trying CLOS with this year's Syrah and also with our Grenache. We are in northern Cal and harvest is usually in late August and often in hot temps. CLOS seems to tolerate hot ferments and also good for high brix picks.

We also will do at least two bins of each variety. For the Syrah, one bin using CLOS and the other using D21. For the Grenache, we thought CLOS in one bin and EC-1118 in the other. Then we blend the wines later, before bottling next year. We're using EC-1118 in one of the Grenache bins because of Grenache's reputation for stuck-ferments. If the bin with CLOS sticks, we can always introduce the hardy 1118 to help finish it off.

I want to get supplies on order soon because you may find a lot of desirable supplies "out-of-stock" if you wait until prime time just before crush season.

Last edited:
I don't have as much experience as you do with ferments, but I used CLOS on a Merlot juice bucket with 3 lugs added gapes last (2015) Spring as well as with a few kits, one that was a Sangiovese. I've really enjoyed the flavor of the wines so far and never had any issues during fermentation (RC 212 seems to always require heavier than normal nutrients or it goes into H2S production). It is a quick starter and I've used grape skins from a CLOS batch that were frozen and added to another batch and never had to add any other yeast (it was the Sangiovese kit and it tastes pretty clean, no off flavors)(also used the skins fresh to start up a Diablo Rojo kit).

Hope that is helpful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back