My first Grape Vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
So early 2015 or late 2014 I planted a grape "stick" I purchased at Home Depot. Wasn't in to making wine back then, but it was a thought that maybe if this stick grew and produced that MAYBE I would get into wine making someday. Well I planted it and then life got the better of me and completely left it alone until this year. Now I've already made NUMEROUS batch's of wine without grape skins, but I was still curious to see how my little stick was doing. To my surprise the vine was GINORMOUS early this spring! I saw little flowering buds on some of them so I remembered reading that the vine needs to be cut back so sunlight can get to the fruit. Cut away like 10 pounds of vines. Now, 4 months later I'm seeing nice little green grapes popping up. Since I have NO idea what I'm doing here's where I need ya'lls help. I know to keep the vines trimmed back, but to what extent. I also know this is its first year of fruit so I'm not expecting much at all, and definitely it won't be wine worthy. I've attached some pictures so to help you help me! My plan is this:

If I succeed this year I want to transplant this lone vine and plant it in the back of my yard where I will put 4-5 more plants in. What's the best way to transplant this vine?

What, if anything, will these grapes be good for this fall when it's time to pick, and how will I know when is the optimal time to harvest? I live in Kansas City, HOT summer we've had....HOT HOT HOT.

Can someone point me to a discussion or website on how to setup a basic back yard grape vine trellis please?

Thanks everyone!

Ok, first, what kind of grape? To transplant, dig it up in the fall, cut it back to a single, and move it. Water it in good and it should be fine. If you are going to try to grow and make wine from it, get the book Vines to Wines. A bit dated but it will set you along the path of growing, training, and turning you labor into goodness.

If you can grow on its own roots in your area, you can take cuttings when you transplant, root them over winter and plant in the spring. In KC you may have enough moisture in the winter to root in place. Just bury a couple of bud nodes of a cutting and see if it grows.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Johnny! I wish I could remember the type it was, but it was to long ago and honestly didn't think I'd get this far with it. I will defiantly check out that book too!

Latest posts

Back