Tasting Party

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuiQuog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on a wine making kick for the last year or two. Well, for me it's a lot. I've planned it out so that 3 kits are ready for this thanksgiving. My Zinfandel kit with grape skins will be 2 years old, a Cabernet will be 1 year old, and I just bottled a Gewürztraminer/Verdelho/Muscat. So, give or take, that's about 75 bottles of wine to share with friends.

Today, I thought about having a wine tasting party The question is, is the zin, cab, and gewurzt blend enough for a tasting party? Is that enough variety, or should I add some store bottles also? Maybe a competing bottle of similar wine for each home batch? I've never attempted this, but I thought it might be a fun way to get together. It would clear out a case or two off my rack to help make room for another batch as well.

I also have an Island Mist hard pink lemonade that's clearing and will be ready in a couple of weeks. I punched up the alcohol to about 11% or so. I don't think it would fit in a wine tasting, but I thought I'd mention it if it gave anyone an idea. I planned on bottling it in beers bottles to throw in a cooler for hot summer get togethers.

What are your thoughts?

In my experience no matter what you say about your having the wine covered half the invites will bring a bottle of one of their favorite wines. Have the party and so long as you have enough wine, regardless of how much variety, folks will have a great time. Have fun!

I think it's enough. It sounds like a good time to me. Btw, how is the Gewurtztraminer blend taste? I have that kit in primary right now.

I usually plan for a bottle per person for a party, and generally end up with a bottle or two left.

Variety-wise, I think three is fine.

I too have the gewurz blend - it's on deck waiting for a carboy to free up. Looking forward to tasting it!

I think it's enough. It sounds like a good time to me. Btw, how is the Gewurtztraminer blend taste? I have that kit in primary right now.

I didn't pay much attention to taste at bottling time, although I remember thinking it was going to be pretty good, lightly sweet. My concern was that it had a bite to it due to CO2. I had some trouble degassing and was really only paying attention to that. I'll open one of the single serves that I bottled tonight and let you know.

I started a thread of the degassing problem here.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53793

I like to invite other winemakers and have them all bring samples to share. It makes for a fun event.

I'm on my deck, tasting it now. It has a pretty forward bouquet, flowers hit my nose as I was pouring a sample. I smell green apples in the glass. The color is a gorgeous medium amber. It still has a bite to it from the co2. I'm going to shake up the bottle. That toned down the bite. Not as fruity as I would have thought. It's more honey than anything, giving it a mead like flavor with a silky mouthfeel. Fairly full body for a white.

That's about as good as I can do, I'm no sommelier. Overall, I think you'll be pleased with it.

I'm on my deck, tasting it now. It has a pretty forward bouquet, flowers hit my nose as I was pouring a sample. I smell green apples in the glass. The color is a gorgeous medium amber. It still has a bite to it from the co2. I'm going to shake up the bottle. That toned down the bite. Not as fruity as I would have thought. It's more honey than anything, giving it a mead like flavor with a silky mouthfeel. Fairly full body for a white.

That's about as good as I can do, I'm no sommelier. Overall, I think you'll be pleased with it.

Try decanting it for a few hours before you drink it. Arne.

I'd say go for it. I agree with bkisel, folks will bring there own. One of my favorites is to ask folks to bring two bottles of "a favorite". One to open for all and one for a grab bag or lottery for folks to take home. Creates some crazy debates!

According to me, these varieties are enough for your party. But yet if you want you may add one or two more varieties. Whenever we planned for a gathering with our all friends, we order for wine bottles according to persons like one bottle per person. And we order for 3 varieties of wines only and that enough for us. At the end of our party all bottles would finished every-time. Because we just love it especially white wine.

Last edited:
Back