Tight clusters...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
Hello Aficionados,

I have been researching pre-harvest fungicides and I haven't really hit upon a comfortable solution for bunch rot/rots. I'm growing several vinifera varieties in a place where, I'm told, they won't grow. I have managed through the typical fungii pressure, PD, birds, hail, crown gall, correct irrigation, rotten trellis posts, etc. and things are looking great, so now I'm at the point of these big ol' clusters of grapes, some hard as a hand grenades, beginning to ripen. Most varieties such as Cab, Merlot, Malbec, Barbera are looser clusters and I think will be ok but the Zin and Tannat are like pine cones. I've pulled leaves and have the fruit zone very open mostly to the east. What do you guys spray pre-harvest for cluster rot protection that is safe and won't negatively affect fermentation?

Thanks in advance,

I would discuss the issue with your county agent or even the suppler of said sprays.most have a spray to harvest period and as such would not affect fermentation.

I think that you will find, after you consult with your ag extension agent, that fungicides need to be applied pre bud break and continued until fruit set. There is also a time limit prior to harvest probably 60 or 70 days.

Latest posts

Back