Question about K-meta and my kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanKnudson

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all! I am a total winemaking noob (but an experienced all-grain beer brewer, so don't hesitate to get technical if needed. I can take it!), and my first kit wine is fermenting away in primary right now. This is an Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot kit that I received awhile back as an "incentive" to make some wine, and I've finally gotten around to actually doing it.

As primary fermentation is coming to an end, I am naturally thinking about the next step in the process. My biggest question is, do I need to add potassium metabisulfate when I rack from primary to the carboy for secondary? As far as I can tell, the kit did not come with any K-meta (no problem, I can provide it), nor does it mention adding it except if I am going to age the wine for more than one year in the bottles (I am). However, in reading the many threads on this forum, I get the sense that this is a standard procedure when racking. So, what should I do?

I know this is probably a question that has been answered a thousand times before, but since most of the threads I found seemed to assume that the reader already knew a little something about the what/why/how of K-meta, I thought I'd just ask outright. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

You should be going to glass carboy to complete AF ( secondary AF),and in the next step, adding your KMS. I've done several of the SLM's, and unless something is totally haywire, the addition should be in the instructions after secondary, even if the actual package is not.

Stag's Leap always did come with Kmeta. Add along with finings when racking from primary.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! I double checked, and I do see in the instructions that it has me adding K-meta at the same time as sorbate and chitosan. I must have missed that when I read it previously. Looks like the actual packet of K-meta was left out of my kit, though, so I will have to supply that myself. The other additives are all there. Do you guys have any "rule(s) of thumb" about adding K-meta during the winemaking process, just for me to keep in mind as I continue? (e.g. how/how much/when to add, etc.) I'm eager to learn.

From what I've learned here, you will rack to the secondary container, put it under airlock, and let it reach terminal gravity (I think most Eclipse directions say wait 10 days, and if below 0.998 proceed to the next step). I tend to wait until it gets as low as it will go and make sure three days later it is the same SG. Most of the red kits will get down to .994 - .990. Only then do I pick up the directions which say to add the Potassium Metabisulphite, Potassium Sorbate and the clarifiers. I tend to add the Potassium Metabisulphite (Kmeta) and leave the others out since I don't plan on back sweetening (which is when you would use the Potassium Sorbate) and try and let it age for at least six months.

Every three months I rack the wine and add 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulphite (Kmeta). Just make sure your Kmeta has been kept in an air tight container so it is still viable (smells really nasty).

When I go to bottle, if I need to degass the wine, I move it to a glass carboy and use my brake bleeder tool to degass the wine at a temperature above 70*F (aids in degassing)(there are also many alternatives not mentioned here to degassing, including the best tool, time). I also add another 1/4 tsp of Kmeta (assuming a 6 gallon batch) if it has been more than a month since I racked and added Kmeta. The best option down the road is to get a tool to test your free sulphites so that you can adjust it to the pH of your wine when you bottle to ensure you have enough protection to last as long as you plan on keeping it in the bottle.

Hope this helps. I didn't cover everything because I'm pretty new to this too!

I am going to age the wine for more than one year in the bottles (I am).

Skip the K-Sorbate, and Chitosan. Too late to skip the Bentonite.

Time will clear the wine. You don't need k-sorbate if you don't backsweeten the wine. I believe in less is more.

Rack after 1 month
2 months after that
then every 3 months.
Add 1/4 tsp k-meta each time.

Skip the K-Sorbate, and Chitosan. Too late to skip the Bentonite.

Time will clear the wine. You don't need k-sorbate if you don't backsweeten the wine. I believe in less is more.

Rack after 1 month
2 months after that
then every 3 months.
Add 1/4 tsp k-meta each time.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! (Thanks @ceeaton as well for your input!) If I do this, how long should I let it bulk age? Rack after 1 month, again 2 months later, then every 3 months until...? What am I looking for to signal me that it is time to bottle?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm asking because the kit instructions have me bottling much sooner. I'm on board with putting off bottling, I just want to understand what I'm doing.

Last edited:
I have skipped all the additives ( packets ) in the kits for my own personal experiments. I agree that they aren't needed if your going dry and you have the patience to allow time to work its charm.

Bentonite however, I believe, I would use on the start of the fermentation process. Bentonite clay has negatively charged molecules that will bond with positive charged molecules, toxic metals, chemicals, etc... These will absorb into the clay and sit on the bottom of vessel letting you rack and leave them behind. In small amounts this clay is believed to actually cleanse the body.

Forgive me for hi-jacking your thread but, your title is perfect.

K-meta is the most important additive you will use in your wine, besides the yeast. But... From the time of pitching the yeast until fermentation is completely finished I don't want k-meta or sorbate any where near my wine.
I feel when some rack from their primary vessel to their secondary vessel, they sanitize the carboy and leave residual k-meta in it, which knocks the almost depleted yeast completely out. In truth they have stunned the yeast and they feel after a couple days of steady sg readings their wine is finished, when in fact the yeast haven't rebounded from the shock of the residual k-meta.

Note: This post isn't intended for the OP, just trying to help new winemakers from a possible stuck fermentation.

Last edited:
I would believe that most all of us who are into this sport of winemaking are reasonably persnickety when it comes to sanitation (no less than a chef in his/her kitchen). K-meta is just one of those little safeguards which can take care of the unknowns/unseens. The best part is that it is not cumulative so judicious usage throughout your process should go unnoticed. :b

What am I looking for to signal me that it is time to bottle?

A little jack in the box pops out of the top of the carboy.

An Eclipse Merlot will not be ready to drink until at least 18 months, despite what the instructions say.

When the wine stops dropping sediment is a good time (minimal dusting on the bottom of the carboy when you are racking). If you can bulk age for at least 1 year, that is good.

I forgot to mention: Don't bother degassing. Time will do it for you. IMHO, the CO2 in the wine will help protect it from O2.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! (Thanks @ceeaton as well for your input!) If I do this, how long should I let it bulk age? Rack after 1 month, again 2 months later, then every 3 months until...? What am I looking for to signal me that it is time to bottle?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm asking because the kit instructions have me bottling much sooner. I'm on board with putting off bottling, I just want to understand what I'm doing.

@JordanKnudson you are looking for the wine to be clear and degassed, as well as bulk-aged. Clarity you'll be able to see. Gas you'll be able to check with a "poof test" or by tasting; it will be zippy on the tongue like carbonation.

To do a "poof test," get some of the wine in a tube or beaker. Cover the end with your thumb or hand. Shake it up. Remove your thumb/hand and check whether it makes a "poof" noise.

If you have gas, you can just wait for it to clear, or you can stir.

Best of luck on your batch!

Just an update for those of you who have given me advice here, fermentation is complete and the wine has been racked to a carboy to sit on oak cubes for awhile. I added K-meta dissolved in a small amount of distilled water after racking. So now I will let it sit for awhile, then begin the process of racking every few months until it clears (adding K-meta each time).

I'm excited. It tastes like wine! I mean...not very good wine at this stage, but I will be aging it for a good long while, as suggested! :D

Any other suggestions for moving forward are, of course, welcome. Otherwise I'll just let 'er ride.

Latest posts

Back