Need help with MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
This is my first MLF on fresh juice...

Issue: Chromatography looks identical on last two readings, still showing larger Malic than Lactic. Shall I just wait, add hulls, add more ML, other?

Metrics:
Date Apr 29th - Primary fermentation
Observations: Active, good taste.

Date May 6th - Secondary
Brix 0% / MLF type DYWM5 added Acti-ML / Ph 3.4 / TA 6.75
Observations: Slow fermentation, good taste.

Date May 30th
SG=0.994 / PH 3.5 / TA 6.3
Chromatography Malic greater than Lactic / Added Acti-ML
Observations: Noticeable fermentation activity after Acti-ML addition, good taste.

Date Jun 11th
SG=3.3
Chromatography same as May 30th
Observations: good taste.

NOTE: By good taste I mean it does not seem to be going odd in odor or flavors.

thanks!

Im still unclear about my chromatography results and appreciate guidance.
I did re-pitch on 6/29 and added opti-malo.
Please see attached my chromatography results history. It seems consistent all along on the Malic. The 0716 results have turned bluish over time but were similar to the other two.

chrom-20160611.jpg

chrom-20160716.jpg

chrom-20160807.jpg

Looks similar to my Zinfandel, you've made some progress, but it's not complete. Yesterday, @ibglowin shared that his MLF's seem to go smoother when pH is above 3.4, I've been struggling for 4 months with 3.3, what's your pH, ABV and temperature? I ask because your previous post says June 11 SG = 3.3, and I assume that's pH = 3.3.

You seem to be within parameters, provided you've added no SO2, 15 ppm is its tolerance. I'm going to sulfite mine slightly and boost the pH a tad, to 3.45 or so, and try again in a month or so.

No kmeta added yet, waiting for mlf to finish
I use inert gas to avoid oxygenation every time i open

How do you increase ph
Water, cold, ?

No kmeta added yet, waiting for mlf to finish
I use inert gas to avoid oxygenation every time i open

How do you increase ph
Water, cold, ?

Potassium bicarbonate is what I use. It'll cause some tartaric acid to precipitate out of the wine, so you'll ultimately want to do a little cold stabilization before bottling to prevent it from happening in the bottle.

Thanks. I have added no SO2, tasting every two weeks to ensure no odd odor/flavors and using inert gas to protect head space.
I just measure again, to me it looks better but need some feedback as if this is enough or shall I give two more weeks...or re-pitch again...

Another question, why I don't see lactic coming up bright as the sample? Shouldn't it be converting from one to the other?

thanks
luis

file.jpg

On this one, it looks like you didn't allow the solvent enough time to climb all the way to the top.

Here it goes 36hrs chromatography, it seems to have gone almost to the top. Now, regarding Malic acid, I noticed it is very vague now, see picture. But being first time on this, I dont know if this is good now or if I need to take further action.

Appreciate the feedback.
luis

mlf082816.jpg

Appreciate the feedback.

Luis, how often do you stir it? I don't think it is quite done. I'd stir it every two days for two weeks then retest. Omit the inert gas, you don't need it if the carboy is within a few inches of the top (I ran a MLF for almost three months and it didn't oxidize or have issues in the absence of Kmeta). Report back with another test in two weeks.

When it looks like it is done, wait two more weeks as the test can show it's done and you can still have up to 50 ppm Malic. The idea is to get it complete enough that it won't start back up in the bottle if the sulfite levels drop too low as it ages.

It seems to have worked
Can you please check these results and let me know if i finally got there?

I understand that i should wait two more weeks to be safe
Correct?
ImageUploadedByWine Making1473468416.567295.jpg

Back