Oops....way too much k-meta!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I racked a 1G wine off the lees to prepare for bottling after about 30 days and thought I needed 1 campden tablet for the gallon. I also have powdered K-meta so I decided it would be easier to use that than crush a tablet. I assumed it was the same stuff and 1/4 tsp seemed like about the same as 1 campden tablet so that's what I added. Right after I did that I noticed that the jar said 1/2tsp for 5 gallons so obviously I way over did it.

What can I do now? I haven't bottled it yet.

I racked a 1G wine off the lees to prepare for bottling after about 30 days and thought I needed 1 campden tablet for the gallon. I also have powdered K-meta so I decided it would be easier to use that than crush a tablet. I assumed it was the same stuff and 1/4 tsp seemed like about the same as 1 campden tablet so that's what I added. Right after I did that I noticed that the jar said 1/2tsp for 5 gallons so obviously I way over did it.

What can I do now? I haven't bottled it yet.

Good news is that KMS dissipates with time, you've added enough for 6 gallons. Were it me, and I couldn't test my SO2 levels, I'd splash rack it a few times and leave it in the glass for a few months. You could bottle it after a couple of rackings, but wait for a while to drink it. Time will eventually help you along.

Should I whip it to speed it along? It's already degassed. Do I have to worry about oxidation?

I happen to be the only winemaker that I know. I was thinking of using my wine whip but I don't know when to say when. Should I just rely on smell?

I way over K-meta'd a 5 gal batch of Beaujolais a few years ago. Off the Vinmetric chart! OPPS! Did the whipping, extra degassing, etc. finally racked out of the carboy into 4L jugs. Then when another 5 gallon batch of red wine needed stabilization, I added a jug of the over K-meta'd to stabilize & blend. Did this for 2 yrs. after 2 yrs the jugs were still off the charts with K-meta. Wife said " just dump it" . I couldn't. Roy

I splash racked it back and fourth about 4 times and then just bottled it. If it's not good I guess I will just use it as top up wine in future batches.

I splash racked it back and fourth about 4 times and then just bottled it. If it's not good I guess I will just use it as top up wine in future batches.

One of the biggest thing winemaking has taught me is patience. Time will only help your problem and it is best to deal with them before its in the bottle.

Understood, but I don't have or plan to get a vinmetrica so I will never know the SO2 level initially nor what 4 splash racks did to lower it. I didn't see how waiting to bottle was going to help (and it's only 1G) and I guess if I was going to use for top up wine it's better to have it too high than oxidized from it falling too low before bottling right?

On the bright side, I lost 5 bottles tops and I learned a very good lesson!

Well, I cracked a bottle today expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised. I didn't get any hint of anything except perhaps some fruitiness of a young wine. Just thought I would close the loop on this thread in case someone has a similar issue and comes across it.

Latest posts

Back