Moonshiners

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent the weekend in Culpepper Va with my wife's brother and sister.
While making plans on what to do, my BIL, (who lives there) kept bringing up the fact that there is a distillery in town that offers tastings.

As it turns out, this is one of the distilleries that is featured in the TV show "Moonshiners". I have to admit that I do watch this show.

We were greeted by Chuck Miller (The guy in the cowboy hat in pic 1, perhaps he will look familiar if you watch the show) who showed us around. The place is very small and about as "back woods" as you can get. There wasn't a straight or untarnished pipe anywhere and just about everything was made of old copper. The distillery just had the look of something that was slapped together.

The stuff they made, though, was amazingly smooth and tasty. I never had corn whiskey before and was really taken aback. I ended up getting a bottle of their butterscotch and two bottles of there barrel aged whiskey.

Once back at my BIL's, we lit his fire pit, killed a bottle of the good stuff (there were 6 of us), and made S'mores.

All in all a great day.

IMG957338.jpg

IMG_20160528_200350_971.jpg

IMG_20160528_202238_577.jpg

IMG_20160528_215508_148.jpg

Another great post John.

I haven't seen the show as I don't watch much TV. As for corn whiskey, my grandfather used to give me "swig" if it when I had a cough. They used to make it themselves on the farm back when they were raising (read growing heh) watermelons as their means.

That is who I named "Up Chuck". On the one show Tim Smith and Chuck were standing up a large tank they got to turn into a still for Tim's operation there. Chuck was lifting it up with an old John Deere and Tim kept yelling "Up Chuck" "Up Chuck" so I refer to him by that name now.

Latest posts

Back