Men vs. Women preference in wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
40 women over our house for a bridal shower. I had some labels made for the occasion and was pouring my 2014 Zin, my 2014 Cab Franc, my 2015 Mourvedre Rose and a commercial Chardonnay. All good drinkers.

The Mourvedre Rose stole the show, followed by the Chard. I think we only went through a couple reds and 14 Rose/Chards. It wasn't that warm of a day, so the only thing I can attribute it to is gender preference?

I think you also have to contribute it to when it was being consumed. I like a red when I am eating a big meal with beef or some other heavy food. To just sit and enjoy a wine or while socializing, I would prefer a blush, white or country wine.

I know one or two die hard red wine ladies but that's it. Most of them would take the Rose' or a White especially during the earlier part of the day. Evening you may get a few more trying the reds I suspect. Pairing (food choices) might also make a difference.

This is an easy one... Seeing as men are from Mars, the "red" planet, they'd naturally gravitate toward liking the red wines. Women are from Venus so that explains why there's no predicting what they'll like.
smilie.gif

[Ps. My wife doesn't visit this site which allows me to post without fear of reprisal.]

Last edited:
At social events women seem worry about stained teeth and red stains on their blouses.

Depending on the time of day, and the weather, I'd have been just as likely to go for a Rose or Chard as I would have a Big Red. Food being served would also come into play. After 5pm though, I'm definitely more of a red drinker.

What's most important to note here though is that your wine was chosen more often than the commercial offering. ;)

It all comes down to the differences in sensory perception in males and females. Women have more acute senses whether it is smell, taste or colour perception. Women make better wine judges!!!
Men will prefer a chewy red that hits them in the mouth - no sensory perception.
Women prefer something that is subtle.

For those of you who are married, think about how many times the other half has commented on someone's or something's smell that you had no idea of. It is all the same thing.

It all comes down to the differences in sensory perception in males and females. Women have more acute senses whether it is smell, taste or colour perception. Women make better wine judges!!!
Men will prefer a chewy red that hits them in the mouth - no sensory perception.

For those of you who are married, think about how many times the other half has commented on someone's or something's smell that you had no idea of. It is all the same thing.

Why would that be?

I'm a big red drinker but I like my whites too earlier in the day and also depending on what's on the menu not to mention the weather too plays a big part!

what a load of dribble. Other than personal taste, all else aside, the temp/ weather/ time of day all play a very big part. Nice crisp whites in the day with the heat and humidity, reds at night when it is cooler

Over this side of the pond most guys don't drink wine, unless there is nothing else, I make wine because it stores better than beers and often improves with age, for me its about the hobby and an affordable drink, which ive crafted myself, the very few women I know who like a wine, appear to prefer a white, but, having said that, I don't know many women who enjoy wine either, most of the women I`ve met appear to prefer lager.

@ibglowin being honest I can only vouch for my experiences around Liverpool uk, I dare say the French might have different drinking habbits, personally I like French wine, but, don't know many other people who do. As others have said the occasion and the weather etc can all play a part, as well as what is available.

Last edited:
And I must be the luckiest guy alive. Married to a gorgeous woman who loves her the same deep, dark red wine I love to drink. None of that blush or white wine for her, at least not very often.

We did drink a chilled Vidal Blanc this weekend, but the winemaker makes all his wines very heavy and bold. and it was almost 90 and humid out at the winery.

I did wonder at something, why is the guy who was born with absolutely no rhythm whatsoever grab the tambourine first??? and no it wasn't me, I play piano, saxophone and keep telling myself I can play guitar.

I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules for women and wine!

Perfect example: I did Painting with a Twist this weekend (temps near 85F and ridiculous humidity) with six other women. We brought a 1.5L of Moscato, a bottle of honey mead, and 3 bottles of Chianti. No one drank any Moscato, there was half a bottle of mead left, and the Chianti was demolished - maybe had 1/4 bottle left at the end of the evening.

There is some science behind different olfactory capabilities of men and women, but I don't know if they're significant enough to predict wine preferences.

As for me, I prefer whites, roses, and sweeter/off-dry wines. My husband prefers dry, big reds, but I'll certainly drink those, too!

I know a lot of women who prefer a big bold red, in fact I think I know more women that like red than white, my wife being one of them. However, having had this Rose myself, I can say it is outstanding and it's not surprising how fast it went at the party. Well done Ken!

I'm a red girl myself 85% of the time...no particular reason to chose white unles I am look for more refreshment with a chilled Sav blanc or similar

I know a lot of women who prefer a big bold red, in fact I think I know more women that like red than white, my wife being one of them. However, having had this Rose myself, I can say it is outstanding and it's not surprising how fast it went at the party. Well done Ken!

Bill, never thought of that maybe my reds taste like $&@#, but the Rose was tolerable.

Latest posts

Back