Half Bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bottled there wine in half bottles? Im asking because I was thinking of bottling some of mine this way so I can just open one of those when in the mood for just a glass or 2 and not whole bottle. I find sometimes I open a bottle after work and just have one glass, then no more for a few days, and sometime throwing away a 1/4 bottle. I guess I would use 375ml bottles. Just a thought...

Just wondering if anyone has bottled there wine in half bottles? Im asking because I was thinking of bottling some of mine this way so I can just open one of those when in the mood for just a glass or 2 and not whole bottle. I find sometimes I open a bottle after work and just have one glass, then no more for a few days, and sometime throwing away a 1/4 bottle. I guess I would use 375ml bottles. Just a thought...

Lots of folks here use them, I bought a case a while back and use them mainly for sample tastings as wine ages. Usually will do two 375's per batch and just recirculate them. The wife and I have no problem drinking a 750 once it's popped open.

Same here, my wife doesn't drink wine, I also do it for sampling. And some are done this way for gifting.

My local bottle distributor sells 375ml and 500ml bottles. I do some smaller sizes, because there always seems to be an occasion where part of a 750ml bottle would go to waste. Also good for port.

Last edited:
I make lots of 3 gallon batches, so I normally bottle them in 375ml bottles. They work out perfect for a small batch. If somebody wants more, they just take two.

I currently have four batches going, but I still have as of yet bottled anything. That said, I bought a 24 case of 375ml as I plan on bottling my wine with two cases of 750mls, and the rest with 375ml. The smaller 375ml will allow me small tastes as it ages. Perhaps every three months. It will also give me small bottles to give away to friends who want to taste it since now that everyone knows I'm making it. They all way to try it haha.

I do,it sometimes. I use smaller corks and it means twice the bottling but worth it since I am a solo drinker in my house.

I use them. Usually 4 per batch. Keeps me from opening a 750 only to find out it's not ready. I also seem to end up with not quit a full bottle when bottling. Perfect for a 375.

I use a mix of 375ml bottles and 500 ml flip top bottles for my mead.

I'll also be bottling port in 375s.

I just use the same corks that I would use with the 750s.

We have a bunch of flip top 16oz bottles left over from my beer making days, and we always use 4 or 5 of them per batch. Although I've removed the flip tops and we cork them. They're great for the first year or 2 to see how the wine is progressing without killing a whole bottle.

that's the life, um,
on e-bay you can buy a stainless steel wine glasses stemmed or no stem, what's killer about them is they are 18 ounce that's 2 glasses in a 750ml. bottle. my doctors told me I should drink at least one glass of red wine a day, but 2 max, lol , so that means my doctors told me I could drink a bottle a day of course they are unaware of my glass size, lol
Dawg::
I do bottle some half sizes but to give to those whom start coming around to often, but JohnD has just given me the ideal ways to check my long agers,,,

I know this thread is a little dated but anyone find a good price on half-bottles? I keep seeing prices that much more than the 750s or if I find what looks to be a good price they have jacked up shipping to make up the difference.

By the way I don't buy bottles anymore. The recycling center works great. I just start the hunt early and keep a stash of cleaned and sanitized bottles that just need a final sanitizing rinse and then fill. Sort of an adventure picking out matching bottles (I look for sets of 5 or more since more often than not my batches are 1 gallon (4 Liter) batches.)

Smaller bottles age faster

I find most of my bottles at the recycle depot, as they set aside bottles wine makers are looking for. 1/2 bottles(375ml) and 1.5L (double) are the odd size they have set aside for me. The 1/2 bottles do work in the floor corker but double the preparation work. I read somewhere, that wine will age faster in smaller bottles and slower in 1.5liter bottles.

Latest posts

Back