For the rhubarb wine makers...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreR

Reaction score
How many of you use all rhubarb juice, how many have extra water content.
How much rhubarb would be required to net 5 gallons of juice?

I'm going out today and picking up about 30 to 40lbs of Rhubarb. For me that will make about 90 to 100 bottles of wine. Last years Rhubarb wine was a huge success with the neighbors, and I expect the same good tasting wine again.

I don't have a press to extract all the juice, but I do cut it all up and use pectin enzyme to help break up the stalks while in the Fermentation bucket.

So i have 60 pounds total in the freezer, all sliced nice and thin. Once im sure its all frozen, I'm going to follow GreginND's method.

Great. Let us know how it turns out.

I have about 900 pounds waiting for me in the freezer.

You guys are going to force me to make Rhubarb wine. Especially if the Rhubarb festival I'm attending this Sunday is a big hit.

Great. Let us know how it turns out.

I have about 900 pounds waiting for me in the freezer.

Good Lord!

That would make about 2700 bottles for me. What about 900 or so for you? That's a lot of work to process that much Rhubarb. Yours must be incredible tasting. Mine is very good, full flavored but not to overly heavy in Rhubarb flavor.

The batches I just move to the carboys are really loaded in pulp. The pectin enzyme turned the rhubarb in to a pudding like consistency after only 5 days in the fermentation bucket. Should be good drinking when, if ever it clears.

32 pounds thawing with pectic enzyme. I've read elsewhere using precipitated chalk to lower the acid from the rhubarb. I don't recall seeing that here. Thoughts?

Never done it. My process seems to provide a nice balanced wine in the end so I have never adjusted the acid in either direction.

What's the pectic enzyme for? Rhubarb is a vegetable. There is very little pectin in it.

Well thats my blond moment for the week! I'll chalk that one up to habit, or read it some place. As you were, carry on, nothing to see here... ;)
Thanks Greg for the advice on the chalk.

Last edited:
About 30-35 pounds will yield about 3 gallons of pressed juice. An additional 3 gallons of water plus sugar will give you a 6 gallon batch in the end.

Do you use all rhubarb juice or you add water to it before fermentation?
If water is added, what's a good ratio?

Ended up using 40 pounds of rhubarb. Juice yield was near 14 litres, say 3 1/2 gallons. Soaked pulp in 3 gallons of water and strained, added to juice. SG was 1.007 lol! Added 14.5 pounds of corn sugar, and I'm guessing 4 to 5 pounds of cane sugar ( ran out of the measured corn sugar) go the SG to 1.096. Finished with just over 7 gallons. Added 5 campden tablets. Pitching yeast in the morning.

7A49005F-697E-4490-AD4D-C800A62A9186_zpsmpf2xdwe.jpg

I'd like to ask a question, first I've never had a rhubarb pie nor wine in fact I've never seen or tasted rhubarb at all , is their anything that you feel that has a similar taste to it, seeing several different post on rhubarb i'm beginning to get curious about it's flavor profile,,,,
thank you
Dawg::

Ended up using 40 pounds of rhubarb. Juice yield was near 14 litres, say 3 1/2 gallons. Soaked pulp in 3 gallons of water and strained, added to juice. SG was 1.007 lol! Added 14.5 pounds of corn sugar, and I'm guessing 4 to 5 pounds of cane sugar ( ran out of the measured corn sugar) go the SG to 1.096. Finished with just over 7 gallons. Added 5 campden tablets. Pitching yeast in the morning.

7A49005F-697E-4490-AD4D-C800A62A9186_zpsmpf2xdwe.jpg

Something doesn't sound right, maybe to me, but that SG is way too low to start before you added the sugar.

So adding 3gal of water diluted the SG to 1.007.
Did you happen to measure before you put the water?

Back