Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, you punched a whole into that cork to take it out of the bottle that it came from. So there would be a hole in the cork plus the wine from the previous wine would have soaked into that cork.

Old cork has been compressed and has taken a set might be another reason not to reuse.

Guess there are some strong feelings on the subject.

Think of it in these terms: A brand new, perfectly clean cork (first quality #9/1.75") costs you less than $0.20. Is there anything you could possibly do to a used cork to make that wee-small voice in the back of your head stop screaming, "For the love of GAWD, man. Spend the twenty cents!!"

Guess there are some strong feelings on the subject.

Think of it in these terms: A brand new, perfectly clean cork (first quality #9/1.75") costs you less than $0.20. Is there anything you could possibly do to a used cork to make that wee-small voice in the back of your head stop screaming, "For the love of GAWD, man. Spend the twenty cents!!"

When I was living back in CT Varis (AKA Geek) found a deal on Amazon for corks. We split a 1,000 count and if I'm not mistaken it came out to only 5-6 cents a cork.

The short answer is yes if it is a good cork and the screw didn't go all the way through. BUT, jgmann says it all. Why would you?

The short answer is yes if it is a good cork and the screw didn't go all the way through. BUT, jgmann says it all. Why would you?

The short and long answer is NO! Whether the screw went all the way through or not the cork has already been compromised when it was compressed to go into the bottle, and again as it was pulled out. Additionally the cork has been contaminated in so many ways. Absolutely do not reuse a cork on a new bottle of wine.

+1

When inserted the cork gets compressed in the shape of the neck and it DOES NOT return to its original uncompressed state when removed. You will have an oxidized wine in NO time flat if you try and reuse a cork that has been inserted (used) before.

I was buying the cheap corks from Amazon. For an extra 3 cents a cork(if you buy in the 1k quantity) you can get great 1+1 corks.

I am with everyone else. Why would you risk all your hard work, money, time, delicious wine over 16 cents?

I was buying the cheap corks from Amazon. For an extra 3 cents a cork(if you buy in the 1k quantity) you can get great 1+1 corks.

I am with everyone else. Why would you risk all your hard work, money, time, delicious wine over 16 cents?

Where do you buy your 1+1 corks?

Thanks...

A number of us buy them at Lafitte cork. Personalized 1+1 corks for about $.12 each

That seems like a very reasonable price. I don't see any prices listed on their web site; guess you must call to get their prices, right?

Thanks...

That seems like a very reasonable price. I don't see any prices listed on their web site; guess you must call to get their prices, right?

Thanks...

Yep. Call or email. There is a 1 time fee to cast a die for your logo work (it was $100 when I did mine). But they are a great value, IMHO.

Back