WineXpert Top up level and timing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
After 5 days of primary in a bucket I transferred my kit wine to a 6G carboy and it leveled off slightly above the shoulder but there is still space in there. If I top up now to get it closer to the bung that will remove most of the air but will leave me with not much headspace for degassing.

Should I leave the space there for another 2 weeks or so before I degass it and then top up? I have tried using a wine whip with just an inch or two of space and it flows out. On the other hand all of the demo videos I have seen show the level much lower near the shoulder like mine currently is so I was wondering if that is good enough or if they are toping up AFTER degassing?

Leave the headspace. Your wine is releasing lots of co2 and the danger of oxidization in nominal. Besides, you need that bit of o2 in there to let your wine finish fermenting.

Really, you need not top up until you're degassed and clear. Keep the airlock on it and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back