Seconded fermented

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarredAwesome

Junior
Reaction score
What's the difference between racking and aging?

I'm following a recipe, that says I should do a second fermentation, that might need two or three rackings

Then I should age it for 6 months.

Does this mean keep racking it until I have the desired gravity, then I kill the yeast, gas it, then leave it in a sealed bottle for 6 months?

In wine making, racking is moving wine from one vessel to another.

Aging is leaving in a vessel for a extended period of time.

Last edited:
Likely it is secondary fermentation. This is not a second fermentation but to move the wine from one vessel to another and allow it to ferment further.

Aging can be done in bulk or in bottle.

Racking is the action of transferring from one vessel to another. Aging ois leaving the wine alone for a period of time.

Your second fermentation, is really just finishing fermentation in a second vessel, which is usually a carboy. Racking from primary vessel (bucket) to secondary vessel(carboy) around 1.010 sg., letting finish fermentation in carboy.

After it finishes fermentation (no change in sg for 3 days) decide if you want to stabilize by racking, adding finning agents, usually k-meta, sorbate, degassing, then clarifying agent. Then start your aging, usually around 3 months. Then rack, k-meta repeat, or bottle.

By your recipe stating to rack several times, I think they may feel it will drop a lot of sediment...? So you may want to rack every 2 or 3 months,or until you feel it is clear enough for you. If you have questions, ask away there's lots of help on this forum.
Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back