added Yeast when I should have added Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrm1443

Junior
Reaction score
I haven't seen this on here yet so I thought I would post it. I was making a kit wine following Joeswine Tweaking instructions for a Fontana 6 gallon wine kit. When I began, I grabbed the yeast packet thinking it was the bentonite and added it to about two gallons of warm water. I then began adding the rest of the ingredients until I reached the point where I was supposed to pitch the yeast. It was then I realized I only had a packet of bentonite left and confirmed my mistake when I looked in the trash. I quickly added the bentonite and stirred the mixture well before putting the lid on the bucket. I had also added a tsp. of Tannin and a cup of both oak chips and currants. 24 hrs. later it began showing activity in the airlock and 48 hrs. later it was bubbling vigorously. So, have I done any harm? Will it affect the flavor? and am I the only one who has made this mistake? :?:a1

When I first made wine, I made all the mistakes. It was like I had forgotten how to read. Don't give up. It most likely will make something drinkable, and encourage you to make something excellent.

Last edited:
I think it will depend on how hot the water was when you stirred in the yeast....too hot will kill the yeast. You'll know in within a couple days. In the mean time, I would try make sure you have some yeast on hand....just in case.

At this point (when you made the post), there is nothing you can do (once it starts fermenting vigorously, either you have the yeast you want, or you don't). So, go with the flow, and see how it turns out.

Keep good notes on how you do your wines. This might become your signature way to make the wine. everybody does it a little different. Arne.

I'm curious, did the fermentation start or did you end up pitching more yeast? I'm sure it went fine, grape juice wants to be wine.

Within 24 hours after putting the lid on the fermenter it started bubbling. Slowly at first but by the third day it was really bubbling. It has now been 9 days and the bubbling has slowed down to every five seconds or so. I haven't checked the SG yet as I was going to wait until all the bubbling has stopped. Based upon my limited experience it bubbled as much as other kits I have tried. I also keep the Fermenter in my main level and not in the basement. I have learned that primary fermentation does not work well in my cold basement. I will probably check the air lock and rack it to a carboy by Wednesday this week which will be 12 days in the primary. If the SG is low enough that is. Thanks for the input.

So, on 5/20, 14 days after starting this kit the SG was down to .999. I racked it to a clea carboy and added another cup oc currants in a mesh bad and an oak stick.
Today on the 30th, the SG was .990. I transferred it ( without the currants or oak) to a clean carboy and added the potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate that came with the kit. I had degassed several times previously using the all in one pump so there was almost no CO2. I have now added the kiesselsol and chitosan. I will let the wine sit for a couple of weeks then do a couple of rankings again using my AIO pump. I tasted it and am surprised at how good it is at this point, especially given how it started!

Latest posts

Back