Growth on top of carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
Any idea if this is a concern? It's been sitting for a couple of months and I just looked and I saw this growth on top of my wine.ImageUploadedByWine Making1462568742.220085.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1462568754.792052.jpg

Someone more experienced than me will come along and answer, but, I've had one or two batches do something similar.

When I noticed it, I racked it, trying not to get any of whatever that is floating into the new carboy, then hit it with a dose of K-Meta.

Mine ended up fine.

Did you use the fining agents? I had a batch that looked like that, it was the first I tried without fining agents. Tossed them in with extra kmeta and solved it.

No fining agents. This was a juice bucket. I will have to rack it and through in some Potmeta.

It could be lighter particles from the sediment ie less dense than the wine I would syphon it off and have a taste if it is fine would drink it. Also follow jericurls advice as well, that should cover it.

Last edited:
Back