Go Ferm, DAP, Yeast Nutrient, tannin - Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I will be making 3 RJS Port kits over the coming months. With only one 3 gallong carboy, it will be interesting.

I previously made the WE Port kit, and it included chaptalization. The RJS kit does not. I will be adding that step.

With the WE kit, it didn't seem like the yeast fermented all the way, so what I am thinking of doing is:

1) Add 2.5 grams of DAP (Diammonium phosphate), 1/8 tsp of Wyeast Nutrient Blend, and 1 Tablespoon of FT Rouge tannin to the 3 gallons before pitching the yeast.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=15

I'm guessing that RJS does some nitrogen boosting, but I thought I would do a little more.

2) Take and SG reading, and then mix in 1/2 of the f-pack. Let that sit while doing the next steps.

3) Use Go Ferm to rehydrate the yeast. 2 packets of EC-1118 for the 3 gallon kit.

Hopefully this gives the strongest yeast. Rehydrate yeast per instructions, add an equal amount of juice, wait....

4) Pitch yeast, and take an SG reading. Estimate how much of the F-Pack is required to boost SG from 1.000 1.017, reserve, and add the excess to the juice. Stir, and take another SG reading.

5) After a day (let fermentation start), add 2.5 grams of DAP, and 1/8 tsp of Yeast Nutrient.

6) When SG is down by 1/3-1/2, add another 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient.

7) Around SG 1.010, add about 2/3 of the dextrose estimated to bring ABV to 18% (tolerance of EC-1118). Add another 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient.

8) At SG 1.000 add more dextrose to bring to SG 1.003 (or whatever the yeast typically munch through in 1/2 a day). Repeat AM/PM until the yeast give up.

9) Rack and add the F-pack & k-meta. Hopefully I end up around SG 1.017-1.020. That's where I like my ports.

10) After a month or two, fortify with Brandy to bring ABV up to 20%. Assuming kit is at 18% ABV, and Brandy is 80 Proof (40% ABV), that is a 10-1 ratio of Kit to Brandy (for a 3 gallon kit, that is .3 gallons of Brandy, or about 1.125 liters).

11) After another month, rack into 1 gallon bottles so the 3 gallon carboy can receive the next port kit.

The 3 RJS kits I have are:
Coffee
Black Forest
Orange Chocolate

Not a good idea. There is plenty of nutrients supplied in the Kit by the manufacturer. Anything left over and not used is food for spoilage organism(s). Have it on hand but don't add any extra unless you start to get some horrible sulfur odor.

Latest posts

Back