Late second fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarredAwesome

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made a mash from oranges and tangerines using a recipe I found online. This is my first time making wine, so I'm a little nervous about my timing.

Here is my problem, I added the yeast about 3 days ago, the air lock is bubbling steadily, but hasn't reached that 'violent' bubble yet. From what I understand, I'm supposed to switch the wine into a new fermenter as soon as the Violent bubbles calm down.

Here is my concern, In 3 days, I'm leaving for 10 days. If it doesn't hit that stage before I leave, it means it will have to stay in the primary fermenter for an additional 10 days before I can get back; which I've read can cause a bitter tasting wine. (Because I used fresh fruit)

Would it be smarter to switch it before I leave, or wait, and do it when k get back?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have a hydrometer? We can only give a sensible answer if we know your starting specific gravity (SG) and what it is now.

And welcome to the Forum!

I did test the gravity before I added the yeast.

I'm not at home, but the the number was somewhere between 1.115 and 1.110.

What should I be looking for when I test it again?

I'm hoping to make this a dry wine, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help

Generally, you should rack (i.e., transfer) the wine from your primary fermentation vessel to your secondary fermentation vessel at a SG of about 1.010 or lower. You can transfer perhaps as high as 1.020 if pressed for time (as you are). When the SG is higher than that, you risk having foaming wine blow out of the airlock of your carboy.

I am going to guess that your SG will be low enough to transfer before you leave, as it will be about 6 days after pitching yeast.

Welcome to the forum!

I would rack it to "secondary" before leaving. I'd set the carboy somewhere there would be no concern should you get some overflow foaming.

Ok, so I did that, and the hydrometer read 7%.

According to the paper that give it approx a sg of 1.055.

Do I have to subtract that from the OG to get the real measure?

Am I to understand that your hydrometer is NOT a triple-scale version, but instead ONLY has a "percent alcohol" scale?

No, you do not need to do any subtraction. If you hydrometer reads 7% --> 1.055, then 1.055 is the current specific gravity.

Oh awesome. .045 off from ideal, but none the less, still working.

It has 3 different scales on it. The percentage one is the easiest to read, so that's what I went with

Latest posts

Back