Shiraz-Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
I just read that Shiraz and syrah are the same.Shiraz the Australian name for France's syrah.Can they be the same if grapes are grown in different countries? I thought soil,climate etc attributed to taste?

They are the same grape. As you say, the wine they make will taste differently, depending on where they are grown. Just like a Pinot Noir grown in Okanagan will taste different than one grown in Burgundy.

Thanks Paul. I was pretty sure the regions would make a difference but got into "a discussion"with a friend ,who's brother is taking courses in wine making.He kept insisting there was no difference,just a name.I bowed out but I was almost positive there would be some difference because of where the grapes were grown.For my own knowledge, just wanted to know

I had just recently read that Australia decided to change their wine's name to Shiraz to differentiate it from French Syrah so that it would stand out on it's own.

Thanks Paul. I was pretty sure the regions would make a difference but got into "a discussion"with a friend ,who's brother is taking courses in wine making.He kept insisting there was no difference,just a name.I bowed out but I was almost positive there would be some difference because of where the grapes were grown.For my own knowledge, just wanted to know

It sounds to me like a case where you were both right, but making different points.
-Yes, they are the same -- genetically.
-Yes, they are different -- environmentally.

I would call them Syrah. Australia came up with the new name to try and jumpstart sales. They planted boatloads of the grape and it grew crazy well and produced tons of grapes which made zillions of gallons of wine.

Shiraz sounded new, different, hip, cool........ Please buy my "Shiraz"! :dg

There is an old winemakers joke that says "Its easier to get rid of a case of Gonorrhea than it is to get rid of a case of Syrah." :)

So I've got three of those vines in my so cal yard, what do I call them? I've bought them listed as Syrah but my climate is much closer to Australia
Mike

Moe/Larry/Curly ,, Huey/Louie/Dewey ,, Winkin'/Blinkin'/Nod ,,:)

Australia came up with the new name to try and jumpstart sales. ...
Shiraz sounded new, different, hip, cool........ Please buy my "Shiraz"!

Well, the tenor of that may be true, but the name "Shiraz" in English for the grape and the wine goes back to the 1830's (when modern Australia was just a pup). Some believed that the grape was brought to France from the Iranian city Shiraz, which was famous for its wines. This was found to be incorrect, based on DNA studies.

I would call them Syrah. Australia came up with the new name to try and jumpstart sales. They planted boatloads of the grape and it grew crazy well and produced tons of grapes which made zillions of gallons of wine.

Shiraz sounded new, different, hip, cool........ Please buy my "Shiraz"! :dg

There is an old winemakers joke that says "Its easier to get rid of a case of Gonorrhea than it is to get rid of a case of Syrah." :)

I wanted to like your post because of the winemakers joke, but I couldn't find myself clicking like to something with the word gonorrhea in it hah. :)

Latest posts

Back