Please help! Participate in this short survey about home wine making!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi members of Wine making talk!

My name is Steven Buhagiar from the Queensland University of Technology School of Design, Creative Industries Faculty and I’m doing a research project as part of my honours about home wine making practices.

If you’d like to help me in this study I’m looking for people who are 18 and over to complete a short online survey that should not take more than 5-10 minutes of your time.

Here is the link to the online survey:

http://goo.gl/forms/ggV5ndVRJD

The purpose of this survey is to gain an insight into home wine making practices in order to inform possible design intervention solutions. These possible design solutions aim to reduce barriers of entry into home wine making; encouraging new people to take up wine making and assist existing home winemakers to create more complex wine in their homes.

Thank you in advance, any responses are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Survey did not take anything near 15 minutes to complete.

Question about - what "types" of wine do you make - was/is not clear to me... Types as in Red vs. white? As in grape vs. fruit/country wine? As in Merlot vs. Pinot Noir?

Last edited:
Hi bkisel,

The question aims to discover what types of wines are most commonly made in the domestic setting. As such any response is helpful and I have left it open to interpretation intentionally, be it; red vs white, grape vs fruit or any particular varietal that you make it home or have experimented with.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey, I am getting some really fantastic responses!

Hi bkisel,

The question aims to discover what types of wines are most commonly made in the domestic setting. As such any response is helpful and I have left it open to interpretation intentionally, be it; red vs white, grape vs fruit or any particular varietal that you make it home or have experimented with.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey, I am getting some really fantastic responses!

Leaving the question open to interpretation is an interesting approach. I think I would have added parenthetically to the question something like you wrote above.. (red vs white, grape vs fruit or any particular varietal that you make it [at] home or have experimented with). My response to the question on the survey was that I didn't know what you meant by "type" and as a result did not give you an answer subject to my interpretation.

So, will you be sharing the results of the survey with us here on WMT?

Thanks...

Hi Steven, It looks as though some kind of IRB review of your project was considered but there is no paragraph detailing how you are ensuring the confidentiality and anonymity of your data. As such, if I responded and came from either a community that frowned upon my wine making or I belonged to a society that treated my wine making as a punishable act then a) there are in fact very REAL risks and b) I need to be confident that it will not be possible for anyone under any condition to subpoena your data. I say this a social scientist that engages in research using human subjects who must subject any research proposal I have through my IRB (institutional research board). I think also IRBs require that respondents can in fact require you to discard their answers at ANY time even after they have completed their responses so that is why the mechanics of confidentiality and anonymity are in fact more complex than they might appear to be on the surface... I also understand that those in business areas and marketing are often far more relaxed (I would say lax) about such matters than medical researchers, social scientists and others who work with human subjects - The Tuskege research into syphilis brought a host of problems to the surface that researchers - at all levels and in all disciplines - must acknowledge and resolve.

Last edited:
I think I would have added parenthetically to the question something like you wrote above.. (red vs white, grape vs fruit or any particular varietal that you make it [at] home or have experimented with.

So, will you be sharing the results of the survey with us here on WMT?

Thanks...

Thankyou for your input bksiel! After consideration I have amended the survey to include the parenthetical explanation as to further clarify for future respondents.

As for sharing the results of the survey, I was not originally planning on sharing the results with the forum until I had completed my thesis. However, if you are interested I would be happy to make available the results of the quantitative data in regards to age, location and time making home made wine etc. and write a short generalised explanation of my findings of the qualitative data.

Hi Steven, It looks as though some kind of IRB review of your project was considered but there is no paragraph detailing how you are ensuring the confidentiality and anonymity of your data. As such, if I responded and came from either a community that frowned upon my wine making or I belonged to a society that treated my wine making as a punishable act then a) there are in fact very REAL risks and b) I need to be confident that it will not be possible for anyone under any condition to subpoena your data. I say this a social scientist that engages in research using human subjects who must subject any research proposal I have through my IRB (institutional research board). I think also IRBs require that respondents can in fact require you to discard their answers at ANY time even after they have completed their responses so that is why the mechanics of confidentiality and anonymity are in fact more complex than they might appear to be on the surface... I also understand that those in business areas and marketing are often far more relaxed (I would say lax) about such matters than medical researchers, social scientists and others who work with human subjects - The Tuskege research into syphilis brought a host of problems to the surface that researchers - at all levels and in all disciplines - must acknowledge and resolve.

Hi Bernard,

This study was approved through the QUT ethics advisory board and complies with the universities policies for Managment of research data. This is outlined in the privacy and confidentiality section of the ethical study documentation provided at the beginning of the survey which also details how this data is going to be kept anonymous.

I understand but I believe that for example a study that took place in the USA (Boston U ) about the IRA that guaranteed anonymity turned out that the researchers were subpoenaed by the Irish government with the help of the US Govt. to force the researchers to hand over their interview data. The only way to guarantee anonymity is to design the research so that there is no link between you and those who answer your questions. I suspect that all answers are in fact tagged with the location of the computer on which the answers are provided.

On HomebrewTalk we get A LOT of these surveys and I often find they are scams, ran by marketing companies to gather data pretending to me legit.

On HomebrewTalk we get A LOT of these surveys and I often find they are scams, ran by marketing companies to gather data pretending to me legit.

Hi TxBrew, I understand that forums can be a target for marketing scams however I can assure you that this is a legitimate honours thesis study. The survey itself has an ethical study document attached with info and links to the university and its ethics coordinator that you can contact if you are still in doubt of its legitimacy.

Regards,
Steve.

Latest posts

Back