What was that noise?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
This is twice now that I've heard it.

I'm sitting in my living room and I hear a loud pop.

It sounds exactly like a single large bubble wrap being popped.

I cannot figure out what it is for the life of me.

I've checked all the electrical outlets.

I've checked all the wine/mead bottles and I'm not seeing any corks popped.

This is driving me nuts!

My side by side fridge pops for some crazy reason. Like a bubble wrap pop as you described.

This house is pretty old. It was built around 1930 or so, I believe, then renovated about 20 years ago.

We have checked around for cracks and any other signs of settling.
Not seeing anything so far.

Manthing is side eyeing me, since I keep hearing it when he isn't around.

Is the sound always coming from the same location? If you can determine its location you're better than halfway towards determining the cause.

Is the sound always coming from the same location? If you can determine its location you're better than halfway towards determining the cause.

Same general area.
The problem is that I only hear it once. If it went twice in a row, I could pinpoint it exactly. But of course I hear it once, while I'm watching tv and knitting, so by the time it registers I'm not able to zero in on it.

eta: I've gone over the area and had him go over the area as well. Nothing. There is a slight concern it could be something electrical in the wall.

Last edited:
eta: I've gone over the area and had him go over the area as well. Nothing. There is a slight concern it could be something electrical in the wall.

That was my thinking. I had that happen in my office a couple years ago, but it was followed by a slight burning smell. I was certain it had come from the electrical outlet. Had the facilities folks come check it out, but no issues were found.

Sounds like the house settling. I would say the pipes as they can pop with hot water running through them, but they will generally pop a few times until the pipes cool.

Do you have dimmer switches? Check the temperature of the switch. They can be easily overloaded and the added load will increase the heat the generate. That heat can deform the housing and that can (perhaps ) generate the sound.

If more crackle-pop than thunk-pop I'd be chasing electrical.

If a thunk-pop then more likely just settling.

It took my wife a few months to get over the noise from hardwood floors popping when walking on them or temp swings.

If a plastic soda bottle is pressed in and then the cap screwed on this will make a pop.
Also pilot lights on gas appliances can pop.
Water heaters can start popping before they explode. See you-tube.
I don't notice my fridge pop except at nite. Weird...makes me think a cork popped.

Hope it's something simple.

My A/C ducts will pop sometimes and there is a damper that is a little sticky, the A/C shuts off and some time later the damper will drop and at night it always causes me to do a "what's dat?". I kinda doubt it has anything to do with wine making.

Dang...now you got me listening for noises!

Stop feeding the dog gassy foods (I would have said manthang but you said it only happens when he is not there). Next time it happens check for odd smells also.

Sorry, I had to bring it up since nobody else did especially Jim.

Also note the time of the day that it happens in case of a pattern starting to develop, and write the time down. If y'all think it could be electrical then unplug every device from the general area the sound came from.
Besides my ankles and knees our old DLP TV plastic housing would pop after it would warm up and cool down wifey is glad it is gone now. As someone else said our refrigerator freezer will pop when in defrost mode.
good luck and update us.

TXWineDuo

My ice maker makes a sound similar to what you describe. Do you have an ice maker?

Latest posts

Back