Fort McMurray

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
Our thought are on everyone fleeing and the courageous people fighting this enormous fire

13139098_1004252692943545_7222747043922377457_n.jpg

13151553_1004110586291089_8381626425576066126_n.jpg

images.jpg

Wow. I read a headline earlier about Canadian wildfires, but had no idea it was so huge.

Prayers going out to those living in that area and especially to those fighting the blaze.

88,000 people evacuated. A surreal number of people having to leave.close to or more than 2000 homes lost.I just can't phantom what these people are going through.

Prayers for everyone. When I say I have been in their shoes, I mean I have been in their shoes......
I'm glad you made it through ok Mike.

I know I'm an emotional person but this just brings tears to my eyes for these people.

Me too. Its hard to believe its so dry that far North at the beginning of May! Insane.

We did this again back in 2011. I think we are safe as there is nothing left to burn for the most part......

Me too. Its hard to believe its so dry that far North at the beginning of May! Insane.

We did this again back in 2011. I think we are safe as there is nothing left to burn for the most part......

That must have been devastating for you Mike! I had now idea!! I lift my glass to you and yours for surviving this kind of ordeal.It's not just lives that are/can be lost, it's what " is" lost.Things that insurance just can't replace

Last edited:

Mike, the far north has more fires early in the year because of the very dry and cold winters - which dry out the fuels so that when the snow melts, before spring/summer rains you can get a lot of that dead detritus from the previous year (from deciduous trees) and then somewhat dormant, and dry conifers before green-up - new growth - starts. So the duff/ground debris can carry the fire until the winds come - and as I understand it, this is a wind-driven fire. And you do know how that can make a huge difference and then the fire starts to make its own weather, rapid spread rates... and then, and then....

One report from a Canadian friend was that Alberta's provincial fire budget was cut significantly as well so this wasn't jumped on maybe as quickly as it might have been in summer.

When they talk about "one road out of town" it's hard to understand that the "one road" is only leading to more wilderness. Yep, keep them in your prayers - they'll need it long after the headlines and news stories stop.

Prayers to all those poor people, I just can't imagine what that is like.

Latest posts

Back