Can't find the cheese making section.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmmii

Reaction score
Looking on the app and mobile site, what sub category is it under?

Not sure that there is a cheese section although there is a forum for Food Pairings which includes craft foods. CheeseForum .Org may be what you are looking for.. They specialize in cheese-making - something I have just started to get interested in.

Got it. I was going crazy the last couple of nights digging for it.

No salami section either. But there is an ultimately cool tread recently started. :)

BTW, cheese is my project for next year. Read the book, and its doable.

No salami section either. But there is an ultimately cool tread recently started. :)

BTW, cheese is my project for next year. Read the book, and its doable.

Very doable... and I think it may be less complicated than many folk make it. I have just started to make cheese and my first attempt at hard cheese is Caerphilly (Just waxed the cheese last night - and it should be ready - if everything goes well in about 4 weeks - My daughter lives in Wales and will be visiting at the end of June so this is a practice wheel).
My point about making things more simple is this - David Asher has a wonderful book called The Art of Natural Cheese Making. He suggests that the only culture you need for meso and thermophilic cheeses (those that are fermented at low and those at higher temperatures) is kefir (made from kefir grains). Of course, if you are making cheeses like roquefort that require inoculations of very specific spores then you need to obtain those cultures but to simply "ripen" a cheese, kefir contains both meso and thermophilic bacteria and yeast.
That said, mozzarella is NOT as easy a cheese to make as many suggest, I think because of the temperatures at which milk is pasteurized and because the pH the curds need to drop to is in fact quite critical.

Latest posts

Back