Yeasty nose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalwittmer

Junior
Reaction score
So tonight I finally broke down and opened my first bottle of Master Vintner small batch Cab. It was started Jan 1 and bottled the end of March. I oaked it after fermentation for nearly 8 weeks. This first bottle has good color, taste is decent for first attempt, my problem is the nose is still a bit yeasty, will this fade with time in bottle or did I miss something in my process that should have eliminated this. It was a wine kit followed to a t, I degassed with a vacuum pump.

So tonight I finally broke down and opened my first bottle of Master Vintner small batch Cab. It was started Jan 1 and bottled the end of March. I oaked it after fermentation for nearly 8 weeks. This first bottle has good color, taste is decent for first attempt, my problem is the nose is still a bit yeasty, will this fade with time in bottle or did I miss something in my process that should have eliminated this. It was a wine kit followed to a t, I degassed with a vacuum pump.

It is just a very young wine. If you can wait till June or July and test another. Wait 3 more months open another and so on. It will really start smoothing out between 7 and 9 months. This is if you followed everything to a T. And had no issues with the yeast.
Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply

My wife was of course like all wives, Correct. She has more patience than I do. We sould have waited longer, but this is all part of the learning, so now I will be able to recognize the aging benifits more fully.

Of course you opened one, everyone does! :)

Like Dave and DoctorCAD said, give it more time in the bottle before you judge anything. Depending on the wine it can take 9 months to a year before it really integrates. And those first few months it can go through some ups and downs as well, sometimes tasting off and other times being delicious until it smooths out and integrates.

It's really difficult to not drink them when you first get into the hobby; everyone here I'm sure can attest to that. Make a few more kits so you have some to taste when you get the itch, and make sure you at least save a few for 1 to 2 years so you can really appreciate the change that occurs with time. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back