WineXpert Poll: Which Eclipse With Skins Kit is your favourite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Eclipse with skins kit is your favourite?

• Barossa Valley Shiraz with Grape Skins

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Italian Piedmont Nebbiolo with Grape Skins (Previously Barolo)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel with Grape Skins

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon with Grape Skins

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot with Grape Skins

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

britwinemaker

Reaction score
Thought it might be interesting to try a poll here. Please feel free to add comments too - I'm all ears :)

Last edited:
I voted for the Lodi Cab, but the Barossa Valley Shiraz is gaining on it very quickly.

I've made the Barolo, and the Stags Leap. Both are excellent in their appropriate setting/pairing. Couldn't choose between the two though.

I'm in much the same position. I'm drinking the Eclipse SLD Merlot now, the Forza will be bottled in June, the Lodi Cab in August and the OVZ in November (probably), so I can't say what my favorite.

The Merlot is fantastic. The other three show great promise. I think, based on what I've read, that you can't go wrong with the Merlot, Cab, Zin or the Nebbiolo. Tweak to taste and age 12 - 24 miles.

Last edited:
The Dry Creek Chardonnay is quite tasty very early. Haven't made any others except the Forza which isn't old enough to comment on, but the Chardonnay is pretty darn good early, just have to actually age it a bit and see what it is like when it matures.

I've got the merlot and Shiraz bulking now. Both show awesome potential. Can't yet choose. Shiraz will go into the barrel next for three months, after which I can weigh in a little more

I have made the Lodi Cab, SL Merlot, OVZ, and the Barolo in the Eclipse line. My favorite of the four is the Barolo. In fairness, though, that is the kit that spent the most time in the barrel...

The Cab is the one that I did first and is much older than the Shiraz and Nebbiolo. If they turn out half as good as the cab, i will be very happy.

The whites are nothing to sneeze at either but you just listed reds

cheers

Latest posts

Back