RJS Port SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I will do an RJS port kit in the next week or two, and would like to plan it out.

I noticed the RJS (Coffee kit) does not chapatalize like the WE port kit. I might do it until the yeast call it a day.

What was the Starting SG of the RJS port kit?
What was the ending SG?
What was the SG after adding the F-Pack?

There are revised instructions in the kit that says to wait until after clarifying to add the F-pack. Just an interesting note. I usually skip the clarifying stuff, and let time do it for me.

Thanks.

I always capitalize my Wines the coffee Port is at 15% and then balance out with instant coffee and tannins interesting blend adding the fpac after clearing, always allowing 1year in the bottle then enjoy.

The port kits are only 15%?

Are they designed to be topped up by a distilled spirit at the end?

Mine an thats not high for a true port,the kits We purchase are usually a sweet port not high in ABV.but balanced with taste as an acholo.

Joe, do you remember the ending SG (after adding the F-pack)? I am thinking about adding 1/2 to 2/3 of the F-pack during fermentation in order to end up around 1.015-1.020 SG, rather than 1.030 as is more typical for the WE port kits. Step feed sugar until the yeast quits (hopefully 18% ABV), and then add the f-pack.

I'll put up the coffee Port thread, you can see then my process, it's a winner.

Coffee port

Coffee port kit with tweaks notice there is also instant coffee added, boosting the abv.to 1.10 tannins and all done in a 3 gallon volume. The trick is to let this sit for one year in the bottle, if you want add 3 coffee beans to each bottle just remember you have them in there.
The addition of the instant coffee and boosting the abv. in the end create a chocolate background starting to develope, excellent in depth and flavor ,especially after dinner. Cru Coffee Port Kit

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphate
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Liters/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphate Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

1 Ingridients.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:
RJS Coffee port is first up.

Later, I will be doing the Chocolate Orange, and the Black Forest.

I just made two of the RJS coffee ports - one started at 1.120 and the other at 1.118. Both finished at 0.995.
I made the Black Forest a couple of years ago and it went 1.120 down to 0.992.
Made the Orange Chocolate a couple of times and they went 1.119 to 0.995.
I think the base wines for these ports are probably the same and should all ferment about the same, with the difference in the end product being in the flavour packs.

Joe: How much Tannin do you add (per 3 gallons)? I'm buying some FT Rouge.

Is the 3 beans per 350 ml bottle?

in the mix

1tablespoon,per 3 gallons, stri really well, walk away let time in the. Bottle do it's job.

in the mix

Everclear ,doesn't lend to a balanced level, between taste an acholo these wine bases aren't meant for to much deviation, but just forgiveness to allow you to play.::HB

thanks.

Do you know the ending SG after you added the F-pack?

Sorry, been away.
The SG doesn't change when you add the F-pack after stabilization, since fermentation has stopped. If you add some or all of the F-pack during early fermentation it could up the alcohol by a couple of % points, depending on your fermentation conditions. The 1118 yeast with these kits can go up to about 18 % and the juice itself gets you to about 16% so the yeast is pretty well maxed out.

Sorry, been away.
The SG doesn't change when you add the F-pack after stabilization, since fermentation has stopped.

I use ending SG to gauge sweetness. the F-pack won't add to alcohol (if added after stabilization), but will add to sweetness.

I'm guessing the f-pack adds 0.030 SG to sweetness. If so, I might add 1/2 of the f-pack in during fermentation to boost the alcohol, and end up with a sweetness around 1.015.

My bad - I was thinking you were concerned about the alcohol content and focusing on that. Regarding sweetness, the coffee port ended up at 1.040 and is noticeably quite sweet. I don't have the readings for the Black Forest or the Orange but the BF is about the same sweetness as the Coffee and the Orange is not quite as sweet.

Back