Spring in E WA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished fixing my new terraces. I pushed it last year to get my terraces extended out and planted. Many loads of fill dirt and I knew it would settle...it did. I added between 25-30 loader bucket of dirt to fill them back to grade (small tractor !!).

I still need to tension the wires and give the new leaves a spray for powdery mildew.

The upper terrace is Cabs on the left and some Cabs and Merlot that I rooted the previous winter on the right.
vin4%204-23-16_zpsczzrpclo.jpg

On the lower terrace this shows the Syrah to the water pipe and then Merlot. Second photo is last years planting of Carmenere, purchased plants.
vin2%204-23-16_zpszlazed7m.jpg
vin3%204-23-16_zpsrpftazsi.jpg

This is the hired help... the vineyard dog. No way I can go in there or the orchard without him along !!
vin5%204-23-16_zpskv5bahdo.jpg
sac%204-23-16_zpsmr8essvi.jpg

Last edited:
Looks and reads like a lot of work.

I'm so thankful that there are folks willing to invest the time, effort and expense cultivating vineyards so that I might enjoy my wine making on the level of a very rewarding hobby.

What I will end up with (looks like I will have to replace 3-4 plants rooted last year that did not make it).
36 Cabs, 30 Merlot, 30 Syrah, 26 Carmenere and 6 table grapes (unknown variety, trans planted 3 times from other locations).

My wife wanted a border by the house out of grapes. There's 8 Cabs and 8 Merlot up there and that will be extended to add 5 more Cabs. Mostly a hedge between the wild part of the mountain to the yard but I'm pretty sure some might make it into a bottle !!!

But where is the dog? :?
smilie.gif
[/QUOTE]

Dog was there, just out of the photo to the left. He found an area where the quail hang out and he was checking it.

Another month has passed and it now looks like this:

vine4%206-28-16_zps8lh4bzdn.jpg

Time to trim and train the Carmenere. Planted last year and allowed to go crazy. First photo is before and second is after trimming. I use surveyors tape for training, 2 layers allow weaving the young vine up without damage. Bottom is tied tight with a reglar heavy strap.

vine2%206-28-16_zpshnq41qsq.jpg

vine%206-28-16_zpsj0w8tm3l.jpg

Back