WineXpert Elcipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsfan

Reaction score
Here we go! Just picked up this kit. Hope to start it, and a CC Malbec this weekend! FUN FUN FUN!

Have you made this Eclipse PN? How did it turn out? any modifications?

Thanks,
Steve

Just to note, I was a bit disappointed after purchasing this and getting it home. I was told this kit had skins, and it does not. :( I was looking forward to working with skins for the first time! I think my CC Malbec has them though......

Thanks,
Steve

I started this kit lastnight...and I am a little worried. It has been roughly 24 hours and im not seeing any signs of fermentation in the airlock.

I cracked the lip and gave it a stir...but not sure if im seeing life in the bucket. I have seen people say it could take a couple days to see fermentation starting...but in my (very limited) experience, I have always started seeing slow bubbles in a matter of hours.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Steve

Patience, I've done a lot of WE Eclipse kits. Few have started in just a few hours. Most show signs overnight, some took about 30 hours. Check it tomorrow and it will probably be going fine.

I started this kit lastnight...and I am a little worried. It has been roughly 24 hours and im not seeing any signs of fermentation in the airlock.

I cracked the lip and gave it a stir...but not sure if im seeing life in the bucket. I have seen people say it could take a couple days to see fermentation starting...but in my (very limited) experience, I have always started seeing slow bubbles in a matter of hours.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Steve

Patience, Steve. Give it 48 to 72 hours before you worry. It will start just fine.

What yeast is in this one? I'm guessing it's the RC-212. Best you can do is to make your wine comfortable at about 72* +/-.

Patience, Steve. Give it 48 to 72 hours before you worry. It will start just fine.

What yeast is in this one? I'm guessing it's the RC-212. Best you can do is to make your wine comfortable at about 72* +/-.

it had the EC-1118

I pretty much figured that is the case...but still. LOL ;-)

If it is any cooler than 70*F, it could take a little longer to get going.

Get a glass of your favorite wine, hover over the bucket, and tell it how much you will love it in a year or so when you are enjoying it. Sort of like talking to a plant, it always makes them grow better, right?

Chances are it will be going like gangbusters tomorrow a.m.

Looking forward to your reports on this one!

All is well. the lid wasn't sealed tight all the way around, so rather then the CO2 escaping the floor lock, it was escaping the lid.

;-)

Steve

I'm definitely interested in this. I know Pinot can be a crazy grape to work with. I would have been open to trying it, but not as my first winemaking attempt!

If this turns out good, I will definitely look at trying this one and the Zinfandel. (and the Cab/sauv and the... well you get the picture!)

So, this has been in secondary for a bit now... thiefed a sample last night and even this early...im VERY pleased! can't wait to see how it changes over 6,8,12,16,18 months....

I will go out on a limb and say that this is better tasting to me in secondary then my Australian Shiraz is at 9 months! ;-)

question though...

So I asked the guy at the LHBS if he had some Tannin Richie...and he said yes. when I got home, I noticed the container I had bought said *Tan Rich* I assume this is the same thing? or was I give something LIKE what I asked for???

Also, considering adding it for finishing on this kit but because I have never used it, not sure when how or how much. thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

I guess "Tan Rich" is from Enartis: http://shop-usa.enartis.com/enartis-tan-rich
and "Tannin Riche" is from Scott: http://www.scottlab.com/product-131.aspx

There are technical data sheets for both of these available at the sites I linked.

UGH.....

thank you for the info. I hate that. why does someone just assume that if you asked for Coke, that they can give you a Pepsi instead?!?! he was the owner of the LHBS so im going to ASSUME that he knew what he had was NOT exactly what I was asking for...but instead, he told me "Sure" and put this stuff in my bag. now I have to find a place to buy what I wanted in the first place and order some!

Struggling.:ft

Morewine is the place to go. They're one of the few authorized to cut Scott Tannins to quantities most suitable to home winemakers.

UGH.....

thank you for the info. I hate that. why does someone just assume that if you asked for Coke, that they can give you a Pepsi instead?!?! he was the owner of the LHBS so im going to ASSUME that he knew what he had was NOT exactly what I was asking for...but instead, he told me "Sure" and put this stuff in my bag. now I have to find a place to buy what I wanted in the first place and order some!

Struggling.:ft

Starsfan as in Dallas Stars?

g4S2XFRglt1W53lGMRkIsGqtXkABP9gm1RsvlRgLt9kB7gu736qZ1b-qfqgWNUIREYjHIeLmFQ-Tfrv0s0u170VU-BB7JHl_U4rXXNzBHg63xeLsRt5tthNAm339fOgEx4HD6zEV0ZVvYrDn3TsG4XRrTMsxAWKqH523qbYlE3gqDomnJXup2L8FnZDHocR8JvhUPF099N01jUmSiwOXsr_F1C8fgRXhCt6oiMu3L279Otbyvk-2V-DOdmtCtoGVlKEt0Ye29bjztD_jQKervhoYg5NpxOoj2eTFiBRtznFuN63C_IVdhqJMUTUDC70SZ0Y0qXGbo-XoVv9VYYNxjYN2zDargUQQVqmb0CQCcgXwLDe2cYSrlBew_giEmy3SMuoTv9jLs69Rh16_4_A8uTAtOyJV6EbVkypO8NCsDFWK7CiDA6xhY35uxrrbkCX0oxERWbtcpEhN-FMfNPe7skOnGmxzWMNjZgYBGa-uZ-9o5OT2nt3iaslMm7aQ_eZ3aEYPsvcAGTxtil1oEHNpRUmh6TfE07iAdlDYKzW5hPTHizfNHqruuFpLwyapYiBg2hty=w607-h370-no

For what it's worth, I started this same kit on October 10, 2015, finished up at the end of October at .995 and stayed in glass until March 5, 2016. It's been in a barrel since then, I just stole a taste while topping up and I'm quite pleased with it, lightly oaked, delicate fruit, smoothing out pretty nicely, tad short on the finish, but that should improve later. All in all, very nice wine to date.

For what it's worth, I started this same kit on October 10, 2015, finished up at the end of October at .995 and stayed in glass until March 5, 2016. It's been in a barrel since then, I just stole a taste while topping up and I'm quite pleased with it, lightly oaked, delicate fruit, smoothing out pretty nicely, tad short on the finish, but that should improve later. All in all, very nice wine to date.

Hey Thanks John!

Very excited to read your thoughts. I am already thinking I should pick up another one of these and get it going now. LOL ;-)

So, can you explain to me in stupid terms, what you mean when you say "short on the finish"?!?!

sorry, trying to learn the lingo. lol:h

OK, is THIS the morewine your talking about??? I see that they have Tannin Riche Extra...what is the difference between the two?

https://morewinemaking.com/category/winemaking-tannin.html

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Yep, that's the place where I got my Tannin Riche Extra. I'm still experimenting with it so I can't give any advice or suggestions yet on it versus Tannin Riche or the others. If you go to Scott Labs they have some pretty good info on the differences.

Good luck.

Ted

Latest posts

Back