WineXpert Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
About to start this kit. Any tweaks recommended or just let it fly? Heard of using some grapefruit essence is bulk and maybe a little acid blend. Anything else? I need this for the latter summer to drink so hopefully I can have it ready for consumption by then, at least a case of it

I've made this twice. The only thing I've done is not use the EC-1118. And its quite good that way.

I think some have added a little tartaric acid to their taste, but otherwise, I haven't seen too much tweaking on this one.

The kit should come balanced but if you need to add acid I'd add tartaric and not acid blend. If the yeast that comes with the kit is EC-1118, I'd substitute because that yeast seems to be harsher in a younger wine, especially if you want to drink it by the end of summer, which is pushing the time table a bit.

Edit: What Jim said (he types faster).

It comes out a little flabby and needs some additional tartaric acid, never use acid blend in anything except a country (fruit) wine of sorts. I did a yeast swap BA11 as EC1118 is so completely boring and I don't need a baby sitter for my must. This is the real deal if you have any sort of appreciation for a true NZ Sauv Blanc.

It comes out a little flabby and needs some additional tartaric acid, never use acid blend in anything except a country (fruit) wine of sorts. I did a yeast swap BA11 as EC1118 is so completely boring and I don't need a baby sitter for my must. This is the real deal if you have any sort of appreciation for a true NZ Sauv Blanc.

So Mike, I have a college roomate of mine who spent some time in New Zealand. We recently got in contact and he stated he and his wife really missed the Sauvingon Blancs from the few years he stayed there. Would this wine be my best shot at giving he and his wife a really nice wine present?

Sure or you could just buy him a good bottle of the "real stuff". LOL But this is as good as it gets for a "brew your own" It has all the notes of real NZ Sauv Blanc if you want to make your own.

I've never stepped yeasts before, but I'll look at doing so. Which other yeasts would you consider on this one?

Sure or you could just buy him a good bottle of the "real stuff". LOL But this is as good as it gets for a "brew your own" It has all the notes of real NZ Sauv Blanc if you want to make your own.

Well, if I made it myself I might be able to keep a case or so. If it really has that NZ character it would be a nice wine to have in the cellar. Thanks for the added information.

This kit comes with K1-V1116 AND EC-1118. Instructions say to pitch both. No need for that.

Perfect. I'll use just the other then

I have this kit just at the end of clearing, skipped the EC 1118 in favor of the K1 V1116, worked out quite nicely.

I have to say, Mike hit this nail right on the head. Stole a small sample at last racking and it was young but could taste the potential. Added a smidge of tartaric just to see the effect and the improvement was noticeable, I'll definitely be lowering the Ph when it's done clearing in a week. My advice would be that even if you think it's nice, do yourself a favor, try some small sample additions and see if you appreciate the lower Ph, the acid zing really brings it to life.

Mine came out after degassing and clearing around 3.38 which is the reason it taste OK at the beginning of the bottle but after a glass its pretty much completely flat/flabby. I topped off with a 2014 Nobillo NZ Sauv Blanc and the pH on it was ~ 3.25. You can get away with not paying attention to TA (to a point) on a white wine but not a red IMHO. 10gm Tartaric will drop the pH about 0.05 in 23L So it took me a couple additions to get it down around 3.25 and now it pops on the tongue. Taste buds are all different. YMMV as they say.

Mine came out after degassing and clearing around 3.38 which is the reason it taste OK at the beginning of the bottle but after a glass its pretty much completely flat/flabby. I topped off with a 2014 Nobillo NZ Sauv Blanc and the pH on it was ~ 3.25. You can get away with not paying attention to TA (to a point) on a white wine but not a red IMHO. 10gm Tartaric will drop the pH about 0.05 in 23L So it took me a couple additions to get it down around 3.25 and now it pops on the tongue. Taste buds are all different. YMMV as they say.

Just finished calibrating the Vinmetrica and took Ph of the WE NZ Sauvignon Blanc. Came in at 3.27, nice floral notes and fruit, little acid zip, all in all, nice white. Leaving the acid as is, gonna bottle it later today........

image.jpg

I opened a bottle of Eclipse Sauv Blanc that's been in my cellar for 5 months this evening. I can't say I'm impressed at this point - it tastes no better than the Vintners Reserve version. How long are you all planning on aging this one?

Can I also ask how you measure acidity in wine? Thanks in advance!

Mine is in secondary now, but I hope to bottle and begin drinking a little of it by July 4th. Going to be adding at least 20 grams of tartaric assuming my ph is in the mid 3s. Your assessment leaves me a bit discouraged :(

Made this guy twice now. Liked it the first time but was missing something as it fell flat after 15 min or so then I started checking the pH of mine vs a commercial bottle and added some acid. The next batch is about ready to bottle. I wait 3 mo minimum to bottle. This one zings on the tongue and seems more crisp than before. If you can't taste a difference then don't pay the difference as they say.

Mine is in secondary now, but I hope to bottle and begin drinking a little of it by July 4th. Going to be adding at least 20 grams of tartaric assuming my ph is in the mid 3s. Your assessment leaves me a bit discouraged :(

Don't be discouraged. This is a really, really good kit. I've done it twice and both times felt like the crisp acidity I expected didn't show up until close to the 12 month mark. It was very good, but a little too fruity and smooth early on. I'll be doing another late this year or early next and will definitely try a little tartaric acid. But even as is (or with simply excluding the EC-1118), this stands up well to most commercial SB's.

I opened a bottle of Eclipse Sauv Blanc that's been in my cellar for 5 months this evening. I can't say I'm impressed at this point - it tastes no better than the Vintners Reserve version. How long are you all planning on aging this one?

Can I also ask how you measure acidity in wine? Thanks in advance!

I'll be aging mine in bottles 6 months to a year before beginning to put it in the drinking rotation. I don't drink much white wine, so it'll last quite a while after that.

As for acid measurements, I can't speak for all, but I use a Vinmetrica unit to test Ph and tartaric acid, the two pieces of information needed to adjust tartaric acid (ok, three, Including your taste buds). In whites, I don't always run a TA test, but always check Ph prior to adjusting and bottling.

Shucks - Please have faith! Others have clearly had much better results than me so perhaps my kit got super cooled or super heated as it traveled across the Atlantic. If anything, a disappointment makes me want to try it again and change part of my process. Next time around I won't filter and will leave 6 - 9 months bulk aging in the cellar. Any number of variables could have led to a poorer wine :ft

A quick question if anyone knows the answer. I understand that too much tartaric acid in wine will drop out as needles in a cold cellar. At roughly what level of acid would that occur? I have a WE Selection Cabernet Sauvignon in the cellar and it's dropped a lot of needles in the bottles. Not so much in the Eclipse Merlot though and none at all in this Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc.

Last edited:
Shucks - Please have faith! Others have clearly had much better results than me so perhaps my kit got super cooled or super heated as it traveled across the Atlantic. If anything, a disappointment makes me want to try it again and change part of my process. Next time around I won't filter and will leave 6 - 9 months bulk aging in the cellar. Any number of variables could have led to a poorer wine :ft

A quick question if anyone knows the answer. I understand that too much tartaric acid in wine will drop out as needles in a cold cellar. At roughly what level of acid would that occur? I have a WE Selection Cabernet Sauvignon in the cellar and it's dropped a lot of needles in the bottles. Not so much in the Eclipse Merlot though and none at all in this Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc.

I'm also based in the UK and just opened a bottle that's been aging 4 months. I'm also pretty underwhelmed by this one. It's by no means bad and has a nice crisp acidity but doesn't taste anything like commercial Marlborough SBs that I've had. It lacks the minerality I've become accustomed to. Perhaps it just needs more time so will give it another couple of months before trying another bottle. But at this stage I think the Kenridge Showcase NZ SB offers better value for money. I'll report back in a couple of months to see if it improves...

Latest posts

Back