RJ Spagnols Cause of off smell?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I'm 3 days into primary fermentation of my 2nd Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan, and it doesn't smell like the first 4 or 5 assorted wine kits that I've made so far. The first 2 days it had an off odor, on the unpleasant side. The last day has seemed closer to the smell I'm used to.

Could it be:

• The age of the kit? - looks like May of 2015
  • The yeast substitute I made? - I used BM 4x4 this time. Could it need a yeast nutrient or energizer?
  • The cooler temps the first day of fermentation?

I'm 3 days into primary fermentation of my 2nd Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan, and it doesn't smell like the first 4 or 5 assorted wine kits that I've made so far. The first 2 days it had an off odor, on the unpleasant side. The last day has seemed closer to the smell I'm used to.

Could it be:

• The age of the kit? - looks like May of 2015
  • The yeast substitute I made? - I used BM 4x4 this time. Could it need a yeast nutrient or energizer?
  • The cooler temps the first day of fermentation?

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the age of the kit, I believe that one is good for a year.

I also used BM 4x4 for the same kit, it or the temps shouldn't be a major problem either as long as you're in the recommended temp range. I typically use some yeast food for BM 4x4, but lots of folks here don't and have no issues.

As for the off smell, I get these from time to time as well and never really nail it down, but like yours, it seems to go away as the ferment progresses. Remember that fermentation does produce some off odors at times, if you're sanitation practices are sound and the fermentation is proceeding nicely, it seems like the CO2 tends to blow that smell out. You could give it a little extra stirring to release some of the trapped CO2 to help dissipate it.

Other than that, just keep and eye on it and stay the course.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the age of the kit, I believe that one is good for a year.

I also used BM 4x4 for the same kit, it or the temps shouldn't be a major problem either as long as you're in the recommended temp range. I typically use some yeast food for BM 4x4, but lots of folks here don't and have no issues.

As for the off smell, I get these from time to time as well and never really nail it down, but like yours, it seems to go away as the ferment progresses. Remember that fermentation does produce some off odors at times, if you're sanitation practices are sound and the fermentation is proceeding nicely, it seems like the CO2 tends to blow that smell out. You could give it a little extra stirring to release some of the trapped CO2 to help dissipate it.

Other than that, just keep and eye on it and stay the course.

Yes, it is bubbling away nicely, so I'll keep a closer eye (and nose) on it from here!

BM4x4 is a combination of BM45 and some other Lallemand yeast strain. BM45 has high nitrogen requirements and can produce H2S under poor nutrient conditions. So, it is recommended to feed the yeast with nutrient additions.

Perhaps this is the reason for the off smell.

My "rule of thumb" is to feed the yeast every 1/3 of the way throughout the fermentation, (SG=1.060 and 1.030).

That's why BM45 wasn't included with that kit.

Manufacturers spend lots to keep thing easy and friendly. How many people would just not buy another kit from them if it made their house smell like farts?

That's why BM45 wasn't included with that kit.

Manufacturers spend lots to keep thing easy and friendly. How many people would just not buy another kit from them if it made their house smell like farts?

I don't see an issue of the house smelling like farts....I can always blame an unintended emission on the wine!

It's alright to use yeasts that are not included in the kit. I do it often. You just have to know how to deal with them.

Part of our duty in these forums is to share knowledge to make us all great vintners! ...and, of course, to get a good laugh here and there.

Back