WineXpert Gewürztraminer Verdelho Muscat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curiosity, has anyone that ordered this WE LE received the kit yet?
It is supposed to be shipping already.

Wondering what yeast comes with it, if not ec-1118.

Just got my arrival notice from FVW yesterday. It will ship out next week. Just got 5 fresh packs of BA11 this week as I was all out so I am ready to rumble when the time comes!

I won't touch this kit for a while more than likely. I have 2 whites (Vino Blanco and Eclipse NZ Sauv Blanc) ready to bottle first before even thinking about starting another white unless I can get my hands on that Sauv Blanc Rose' for a Summer "patio pounder". I will work my 3 LR/LE wines over the course of the next 9-12 mo. I just restocked on BA11 so depending on what comes in the box I may use or swap out.

I really like this QA23 yeast. No foamy, fizzy and nice fermentation. Double thumbs up.
Let's see if no off odor like D47.

I just received my LE Gewurz/Verdelho/Muscat, and I was thinking of switching out the yeast to QA23, per this thread, so thanks for keeping us updated, geek. I won't have a carboy free for this kit until the summer, so I'm interested to see how this yeast does.

I'm still new to all this, so I am curious: what off odor do you get with D47?

I really like QA23, not foamy at all, lots of fizzing. I also had a little bit of odor when SG was around 1.040 and I added a tsp of yeast nutrient (what I have at hand) and then it went away.

I will definitely use QA23 again for whites. The best way to describe the off odor is like a yeast odor, wasn't really bad.

Since I bought 2 kits of this, I decided to add all f-pack at the end per instructions to see what SG I get (will check after I rack next week) and then based on that I will decide how to proceed on the 2nd kit.

Last edited:
I really like this QA23 yeast. No foamy, fizzy and nice fermentation. Double thumbs up.
Let's see if no off odor like D47.

I just received my LE Gewurz/Verdelho/Muscat, and I was thinking of switching out the yeast to QA23, per this thread, so thanks for keeping us updated, geek. I won't have a carboy free for this kit until the summer, so I'm interested to see how this yeast does.

I'm still new to all this, so I am curious: what off odor do you get with D47?

I was hoping Varis (geek) would clarify; please correct me, Varis, if I am wrong. I think your first post (quoted above) was supposed to mean something like: "I like QA23. I hope it does not have an odor. D47 is not prone to off-odors, and I am hoping that, similarly, QA23 does not produce any odors."

Grabo interpreted your statement to mean that you "hope that QA23 does not produce the kind of off-odors that D47 produces," i.e., she or he thought you were asserting that D47 is prone to be stinky.

Am I right? Which interpretation is correct?

The few times I used D47, it had an off-odor smell.
He or she interpreted my statement correct....I was hoping that QA23 does not have the off-odor that I experienced with D47, but it did a little bit.

Did I confuse this more...? ::

Latest posts

Back