Yeast Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjk

Chris
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to start an Ecilpse Chardonnay Kit. I'm thinking of using a different yeast then what comes with the kit (EC-1118). I might want to try a combination of two different strains ICV-47 and CY3079. This will be the first time in 6 Kits that I'll be tweeking the yeast.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Should I use half a packet of each or 2 full packets?
The More Wine Making Yeast Guide recommends barrel fermentation and lees aging for both of these strains. I will not be doing either of those. Will that make a difference?

As always any advice is much appreciated!

Chris

Actually, those two yeasts won't work together. ICV-D47 expresses a so-called "competitive factor" (i.e., it is a "killer yeast"). Some yeasts are sensitive to this, and some are not. Sadly, CY3079 is, indeed, sensitive.

I think that common wisdom is that it is rare that co-fermenting with two yeasts works out well.

Thank you Sour Grapes. I'll skip the combination plan. Would you use one of those strains over the other for a Chardonnay? Are there any others better suited you can suggest?

Chris

You don't mix yeasts. They will compete with each other and you may actually end up with trouble down the fermentation road. I would stick to the Lalvin EC-1118

Companies spend a lot of time and select the best yeast for the wine.

I would use the D47. In fact, I just started a Pinot Gris kit using this yeast, and I have used it for a Luna Bianca kit, which is a Chardonnay-dominated blend. D47 has low nitrogen requirements, and so is pretty "unfussy." If you have any interest in sur lie aging, D47 is supposed to be one of the best yeasts for this purpose.

ICV D254 with CY3079

I've been reading up on different yeasts. I read where some Chardonnay producers will in fact mix the CY3079 and the ICV D254. I have always heard not to mix yeast due to the potential problems mentioned above. I think what I may do is ferment half of the kit with each different yeast then combine in the secondary with some oak. I have a few days to continue to play around with thoughts and ideas. The kit will be a WE World Vineyard Aust. Chardonnay. Any tips on this kit to consider?

Latest posts

Back