Anyone making Chilean wine and what kind?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trolo

Older Member
Reaction score
Hello all sorry if I missed this and it is a repeat. I am looking over the juice list and was trying to pick a couple out. So I was wondering what anyone else is making ?

Hello all sorry if I missed this and it is a repeat. I am looking over the juice list and was trying to pick a couple out. So I was wondering what anyone else is making ?

I am not planning to make any this year but I have in the past. My experience has been that their whites are very good, consistently. The reds tend to vary markedly from year to year. Three years ago the reds were outstanding and needed nothing. The next time I tried them I had to work to make a decent wine by adding crushed grapes, other fruit concentrates (e.g. blackberry) and raisins.

At this moment, I'm planning on Cab Sauv, Merlot, Syrah, and Carmenere.

Have done quite a few Chilean buckets and have several approaching bottling. Am ordering a Cab Franc this spring. Sauvignon Blanc is a signature wine and I have been pleased every time I've made it. Carmenere has become somewhat synonymous with Chile since the French thumbed their noses at it! As with juices from just about anywhere, there will be varying reviews regarding quality. Despite occasional criticism of juice bucket wines, they are perfect for the amateur hobbyist. There are plenty of tweaking methods if your taste buds are not satisfied.. Good luck and enjoy!!

I am currently on the fence on if I am doing Chilean this year. I normally just do this with my brother and he is planning on taking a 2 week vacation right around the time that the grapes come in.

On one hand, I have been grinding away making wine twice a year for the last 4 years. A break would be nice...

BUT...

Then I think of how sorry I will be in missing a potentially great vintage...

Last edited:
I ordered a bucket of Barbera and a bucket of Carmenere.

Thanks all for the input.
I was looking at Luva Bella and I think I might go for Carmenere and a Moscatel Alejandria. Of course my best half and co-wine drinker likes sweet wine.
2 yr ago I got a bucket of Muscat it was good I fact just pulled out one of the last bottles and wow so much better with a little age on it. The biggest problem I have is keeping it that long. We drink too fast to keep plus what I give away my wife's Rn friends.
Tom

Still trying to bottle my Chilean from last year. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'm going with Malbec and maybe zinfindal but that would be it.

I have been making Chilean wine from juice for the past 4 years and have never had a problem. Originally purchasing in 6 gallon buckets thru Keystone Homebrew, PA. Now purchasing thru Harford Vineyards in Maryland. I do Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gri, Chardonnay, Malbec, Cabernet & Merlot blend, Pinot Noir, & Syrah. All without problems. I do malolactic fermentation `& French oak chips for reds & Chardonnay. Haven't had any complaints yet except for is there more?

I love the Malbec, Carmenere, Merlot/ cab,
Can't go wrong. BUTT ck gravity usually low. Add some simple syrup to bring gravity ti 1.100. also needs oak :ib

I love the Malbec, Carmenere, Merlot/ cab,
Can't go wrong. BUTT ck gravity usually low. Add some simple syrup to bring gravity ti 1.100. also needs oak :ib

Was that pail juice or fresh grapes.

I have found that the fresh grapes are always right on the money, hovering anywhere from 23 to 26 brix. I have yet to encounter low brix (not that I am complaining).

We are doing 2 buckets of Cab & one of Malbec , from Pardo Grapes in Tampa. May have to look into Carmenere, don't know a thing about it! Roy

Carmenere is a great wine on its own, and also blends well with a little Cab.

Just got an email from M & M about the upcoming release of their Frozen Chilean Must. I didn't see them on the sponsor list for this forum, so I'm not going to share lots of information, but this is what they are offering:

Cab Sauv, Cab Fran, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Pinotage (SA).

I'll be ordering 2 or 3 of these, 2 pails of each, grapes destemmed and crushed into 5 gal pails, frozen and shipped. I'm guessing that with shipping ($50?) and a yield of about 8 gallons or so from 2 pails of each varietal, the wine will be produced for about $7.50 per bottle. Not living anywhere near real grape production areas, I know that I have to pay a premium, but gotta start somewhere............

If one of our moderators will PM me and let me know if it's OK, I can post their contact info., prices, etc. for anyone who might be interested.

Hi Johnd,
By M&M do you mean Mosti Mondiale? It's funny that you have the varieties you wrote on your post. At my LHBS here in Montréal (which is near the plant of Mosti), we have no Cab Franc and Pinot Noir, but we have access to two type of Chardonnay.

( Just got an email from M & M about the upcoming release of their Frozen Chilean Must. I didn't see them on the sponsor list for this forum, so I'm not going to share lots of information, but this is what they are offering:

Cab Sauv, Cab Fran, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Pinotage (SA).)

Hi Johnd,
By M&M do you mean Mosti Mondiale? It's funny that you have the varieties you wrote on your post. At my LHBS here in Montréal (which is near the plant of Mosti), we have no Cab Franc and Pinot Noir, but we have access to two type of Chardonnay.

( Just got an email from M & M about the upcoming release of their Frozen Chilean Must. I didn't see them on the sponsor list for this forum, so I'm not going to share lots of information, but this is what they are offering:

Cab Sauv, Cab Fran, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and Pinotage (SA).)

No, not Mosti Mondiale, M&M, aka Musto Wine Grape Company, www.juicegrape.com

I am working on the RJS Cellar Classics kit Chilean cab Malbec Carmenere. It was a great buy at about $100 at my local supply shop and I think is turning out really nicely.

From Gentile Juice

1 each of:
Sav Blanc
Chardonnay
Cab Franc
Merlot
Pinot Noir
Syrah

2 each of:
Malbec
Cab Sauv

Latest posts