RJ Spagnols Stablizing and Clarifying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
OK its me the crazy question guy. I have two whites to be clarified and stabilized on Tuesday the 16th of February. Both of these are VERY CLOUDY and the Pinot Grigio is a lot darker than the Chardonnay. Is this normal or should I be alarmed. I know they have not been stabilized or clarified nor degassed. This is my first two attempts at this hobby and I LOVE IT but want to get at least a decent start with these two. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
MSFGroup

I've done one white... Prior to adding clarifiers it was as clear as milk... Zero clarity. Don't worry :). BTW, it turned out crystal clear ...

You are good. You don't have to rush this clarifying, degassing process. You do need to stabilize and ad kmeta. I made a pinot grigio that was as dark as chardonnay and it was great.

Thank each of you

I want to thank everyone for all of their responses this forum is the best one I have ever participated in with everyone being so helpful to a real NEWBIE like me and sorry for the off the wall questions but all new to me but I LOVE IT.

Thanks again

NOW
I clarified and stabilized both of these last night with a SG of 0.992 on both which I think is good...........not real sure about all that yet. I also used a whip on a drill on both the Pinot and Chardonnay for 10 minutes plus. The wine in the test jar was remarkably clear and bright but was very carbonated (before degassing) honestly, I do not think I am anywhere close getting all the CO2 out of this wine and wondering about using a vacuum pump to in addition to last nights thrashing in the carboy. I would like any recommendations of a pump if you think I should. OR do I degass it again at the end of this 14 day cycle?

Thanks everyone have a great weekend

I want to thank everyone for all of their responses this forum is the best one I have ever participated in with everyone being so helpful to a real NEWBIE like me and sorry for the off the wall questions but all new to me but I LOVE IT.

Thanks again

NOW
I clarified and stabilized both of these last night with a SG of 0.992 on both which I think is good...........not real sure about all that yet. I also used a whip on a drill on both the Pinot and Chardonnay for 10 minutes plus. The wine in the test jar was remarkably clear and bright but was very carbonated (before degassing) honestly, I do not think I am anywhere close getting all the CO2 out of this wine and wondering about using a vacuum pump to in addition to last nights thrashing in the carboy. I would like any recommendations of a pump if you think I should. OR do I degass it again at the end of this 14 day cycle?

Thanks everyone have a great weekend

.992 is quite a nice finishing SG, no doubt your fermentation is complete.

Manual degassing is quite tedious, and IMHO, very difficult to accomplish in one degassing session. Having said that, time will degas your wine very efficiently, so let it sit the recommended amount of time and rack as directed. This racking will also help with degassing and if you want to whip it a bit more you can, but be cognizant of the fact that you're exposing it to oxygen. Best bet is to just let it continue to degas, clear and age in the carboy.

Regarding vacuum degassing, I do it religiously and it works great for me, completely degassed in just a few minutes. This is the pump I use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

Lots of people here also use the All In One system with great success as well.

Latest posts

Back