Winter Dieback at 3F Degree?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
This weekend we'll have about 3F night temperature. I know this is not much in terms of winter cold weather. But I just wonder what kind of winter dieback we expect to see.

I grow Marquette and several kinds of table grapes, such as Concord, Himrod, etc. Most are first year vines and they are about 4' to 5' tall. Most of them will be cut down and retrained this year.

If the winter dieback is material, I may prune off some of the top growth and try to root them. I have room for more vines. I just do not want to wait for too long and a lot of the top growth will be gone by spring prune time.

You will not lose Marquette at 3 degrees F. They are good well down to negative 20F

You should have no damage at those warm temperatures. They are all good to that temp.

By the way it was -12F here this AM and will be colder this weekend. The mountains to my west are expected to be around -30F or colder.

My first year growing Marquette we got down to -22 for 3 days straight and I worried they were all dead. Next Spring they picked up where they left off without any incident. They are one tough grape.

I would like to retain most of the top growth to root some new vines for myself. Do not like to see they die back over the winter.

If they are this tough, I'll just leave all this to the spring time.

Back