So much equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
As I just started late January, I'm amazed at how I keep needing to expand my carboy/fermentation equipment. I now have 3, 6 gallon secondary glass fermenters, 2 7.9 gallon fermenters and 7 5 gallon long term storage carboys, and I think I need another 6 gallon carboy. Just seems I've not enough equipment to do simultaneous kits so as to get ahead of the time line curve. Does this happen to everyone? I'm probably on the low side of hardware.

Thanks.

LOL, that's what I'm experiencing.....this is hobby that is like boyles law of ever expanding gas.....

It's an endless cycle I have many,many carboys of different sizes .. Still not enough!

Seems like you can never have enough. I like my 2.5 gallon the best.
dfdb3c239ae895b0e8cc26d6b606c5e7.jpg

Very nice, how do you like the barrels? Does add nice character to your wines? I understand you only get about 3-5 turns out of them before they are spent.

Soon, you will need to move to bigger vessels!

The normal way of things is this...

Start with carboys until you have too many,
Move to demijohns until you have too many,
move to small stainless steel tanks until you have too many,
move to bigger tanks until you have too many,
move to even BIGGER tanks until you wife threatens divorce......

Very nice, how do you like the barrels? Does add nice character to your wines? I understand you only get about 3-5 turns out of them before they are spent.

These are two 30 gallon barrels. I decided in the very beginning that if I was going to make wine, that I'd make the best wine I could possibly make. That drove me to get the barrels. I use the carboys for side projects, topping and this year, Rose. Certainly they are an expense and one more thing that can go wrong, however I plan on sticking with them.

I have found that the longer I make wine I acquire more equipment I "want" than equipment I "need"... Things that make life easier (drill mounted equipment, etc). However, I also snuck another 3 gallon carboy into the house tonight... but I NEED it so I don't have to wait 6 months to get all these kits done... My collection of equipment isn't in any way close to the league of a lot of members here but don't worry. You'll catch up if you stick around long enough... :)

NorCal - Where did you get 2.5 gal carboys? I'd love to have a few of those.

Latest posts

Back