box wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
Hi,

I had one of those weird ideas while walking in the supermarket. I saw wine from the same vineyard in bottels and as boxed/bagged wine, the price differs quite a bit. Jas anyone ever bottled boxed/bagged wine?

Hi,

I had one of those weird ideas while walking in the supermarket. I saw wine from the same vineyard in bottels and as boxed/bagged wine, the price differs quite a bit. Jas anyone ever bottled boxed/bagged wine?

I have a few wine bags, but I only use them for topping up barrels. They actually work quite well, I typically have a liter of wine that doesn't fit when going from carboy to barrel, it goes in a bag. There is no air, no headspace, I turn a valve to top up, it's really pretty simple.

Other than that, I wouldn't haven't put any wine in one.

IMHO, this is a cheap method of packaging for cheap wine that is meant to be consumed quickly. Not an ideal storage form for anything you want to age.

IMHO, this is a cheap method of packaging for cheap wine that is meant to be consumed quickly. Not an ideal storage form for anything you want to age.

They have their place, and Bota Box wine is generally regarded as a good wine by blind testing.

I use it for topping off...

They have their place, and Bota Box wine is generally regarded as a good wine by blind testing.

I use it for topping off...

Cheap was a poor choice of words. I should have said inexpensive (and not necessarily bad wine). One would never find an expensive wine in a box.. My last post sounds a lot more critical than I intended. Sorry about that..

The point I was trying to make is that box/bag is not an ideal way of storing for a long time and certainly not ideal for wines that are clearing/settling.

Thanks for the advice and info. I think I'll just keep collecting bottles and bottle things I don't like that much in beer bottles (I have about 200 8oz bottles)

Last edited:
I have put wine into 6 gallon bags, forgot about two of them for a year or so and they are delicious. A lot less work than bottling that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back