What would You do if you were me????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnuscan

Tnuscan=Tennesseean
Reaction score
Ok... I was told CO2 is what I needed to fill my headspace until bottling.

It will create a blanket on the surface of your wine and push the oxygen out, after fermentation. (Sounded good to me)..

So I bought a, 7 pound bottle with a regulator, and hose. I was ready to take my presents from Christmas-Kits-,(because I was a good boy in "15") and buy some fruits ,and concentrates, and fill my carboys.

And that's what I did, ALL OF THEM. (13)...

And then, I, (for some strange reason), checked back into this forum,( I had forgotten about joining 4 years earlier), And I found out, ( what I was told was wrong)...Whatttt????

I can return Co2 setup for store credit.. AND...

Option 1: Get 3 or 4 cans of Private Reserve and 4 to 5 smaller carboys and work down (slowly) until bottling...

Option 2: Get 2 more Wine Kits (with store credit) and Buy- 10- more "Headspace Eliminators" and Vacuum until bottling..

Option 3: Get 2 more Wine Kits Leave 6 inches of headspace for 14 to 25 days and bottle..

==ONLY 3 OPTIONS== --WHAT WOULD YOU DO--??????? (Pick ---1---2---- 3)

A gift will be given and (randomly) picked out of the answers. And you will be contacted by Posting on here and (or) contact me.

This is not a prank or a scam (so lets have some fun)...

Thanks!!!

NOTE: dralarms was the Winner !!! Everyone that picked an option name was written down folded and placed in a container and, drawn by another person.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have used everyone's advise.

Last edited:
I like option 2
Even if you have to flood the headspace with Co2 and then add the headspace eliminator onto it. That is double protection then , the Co2 will come out when you do your next vacuum transfer.

IMHO, Option 3 is not really an option. I would never advise leaving that much head space under any circumstances.

I would also add option 4: Take the store credit, invest in a press and destemmer, and gear up to make wine from fresh grapes in April/May (when the Chilean grapes come in).

First, who told you that CO2 was OK for topping off? They need to lose their home winemakers union card!

Home winemakers spend untold hours and many dollars REMOVING CO2 from their wines, close to half of all the posts on this and other wine making forums deal with getting the gas out of the wine.

If it was me, I'd opt for the Headspace Eliminator, but I'd also suggest buying a couple of boxes of a "neutral" wine and top off the current carboys. You'd get full carboys and some cheap wine for drinking when you get done topping off. Can't lose!

What'd I win?

Newbie answer

I've just started my wine making adventure, so take this with a grain of salt. I have an all-in-one pump with the head space eliminator. I love the all-in-one ... it is a great pump. But the head space eliminator needs to be taken with a grain of salt. What matters is the total amount of oxygen available to the wine:

1. Volume, volume, volume. If you have 2 inches of head space with a 3 inch diameter neck, you have a total volume of air of about 14 cubic inches. If you have more head space, there is much more air, because the neck of the carboy gets wider faster.

2. Pressure: A typical vacuum pump pulls around -20 in Hg. Atmospheric pressure is about 30 in Hg, so a vacuum pump reduces the pressure in the bottle to 10 in Hg. So the math is simple:
No vacuum: 30 in Hg @ 14 cubic inches of volume
With vacuum: 10 in Hg @ 14 cubic inches of volume

So, all the vacuum does is reduce the total amount of oxygen by a factor of 3, which is the same as what could be achieved by reducing the head space down to 2/3 inch.

While vacuum is better, elimination of total head space volume is critical.

Also, remember there is air in the neck of the bottle when bottling ... while it does not seem like much, 0.5 inch of air in the bottle for 30 bottles is a very similar amount of air to leaving 2 inches in the carboy.

I would opt for 2 more wine kits and build up inventory so you can let it age longer.

Eric

Option 1, I'd say it would be good to have a variety of sizes for carboys. Kinda wish I had some. In time...
Plus, this option , you get to sample your wine as you go.

KISS !!!! You DO plan on making more wines correct?? You do have several carboys and accessories correct??? Asking around I'd bet you'll find that the most common methods of eliminating headspace are by topping with a like wine, good water(no more than 1 L), smaller vessel. I prefer like wine,,, either cheaper store-bought or (even cheaper) something of my own!!! Just fill 'er up, pop in the airlock, and "fahgeddabahdit" KISS! You can then spend all that saved time sitting and staring at that carboy:wy

Option #1. More carboys of different sizes. Top up with wine, even if store bought. Or my favorite airspace soultion, rack to smaller jug, drink what does not fit:).

IMHO, Option 3 is not really an option. I would never advise leaving that much head space under any circumstances.

I would also add option 4: Take the store credit, invest in a press and destemmer, and gear up to make wine from fresh grapes in April/May (when the Chilean grapes come in).

That could be a beginning of the never ending collection of toys to make wine with fresh grapes. I vote for the write in vote #4.

Additionally, I use Argon gas to replace the O2 in any headspace completely. Argon is not reactive nor is it toxic. Keep the CO2 bottle and regulator and use it to make beer.

Tnuscan,

Let me make another case for my Option #4 (get a destemmer and press).

Let me paint a mental picture..

Crush Day...

It is early in the AM on a clear warm autumn day.

You rise, grab that first cup of coffee, and head outside to survey how you have set things up the night before. You see a slight mist of fog, but are content knowing that the sun will chase that fog away and provide the last remaining autumn's warmth.

You smile as you glance over at the grapes you purchased to day before. You tasted them and know that, this year, the wine will be superb.

You finish your last sip of coffee, and head back into the house to grab another one. While in the kitchen, you grab the bagels and assorted things that you plan to set out for your guests. Just then, the doorbell rings, announcing that the first of the crew of family and friends have arrived. Each is carrying a dish of food which is their contribution to the feast later that day.

Now that you have a crew, you are ready to begin. You start by hosing down the equipment and then giving everything a nice spritz of K-meta. The crew knows what to do. They have come every year and no longer need to be told what to do. Without any word, the crew begins by sorting through the grapes, removing any leaves or foreign matter. From there, the grapes are carried to the destemmer.

You have to keep from dancing when you get that first whiff of heaven. That glorious aroma that comes rises up as soon as the grapes are dumped into the destemmer. You marvel in the hypnotic rhythm of the grapes passing through the rollers and screen, and the splat-splat-splat of the newly formed must as it is deposited into a waiting tote.

You then take a moment to survey the fact that all around you are having a great, unique time. In short order, all of the grapes have been processed, and everything has been cleaned and put away. You see that the good times continue. You reward all of your hard workers by opening the best of your past vintages. After a quick toast to this year's vintage, you herd all of the folks to the patio for a late lunch. Good times and laughs continue as more and more corks get pulled.

After everybody has stuffed themselves, you gather to a tent that you have set up (a 30'X10' pop up) for more wine and cigars. Someone has brought a guitar and the next hours are spent singing and having a great time.

The party breaks up in the wee hours of the morning. You yell "see you next week for the pressing!" and you know that they are more than willing to come next week. You happily turn in and dream of the wine to come....

I vote for option #4!

Last edited:
Additionally, I use Argon gas to replace the O2 in any headspace completely. Argon is not reactive nor is it toxic. Keep the CO2 bottle and regulator and use it to make beer.

Bill,

- This will never replace all of the O2 in your head space. You will only get a mix of O2 and argon. The best thing to do is to top-up your secondary fermenter with wine..

If you use a combination of vacuuming out the headspace then back filling (flushing with argon) you can remove ALL of the O2 in the headspace and I do mean ALL

This is what we do at work. We have two large inert glove boxes that have argon atmospheres as we work with some "interesting materials".

We measure the O2 on a weekly basis and the results are around 3ppm O2.

Is this worth it for making wine? That is up to each winemaker I suppose and the depths of their pocketbook.

Tnuscan,

Let me make another case for my Option #4 (get a destemmer and press).

Let me paint a mental picture..

Crush Day...

It is early in the AM on a clear warm autumn day.

You rise, grab that first cup of coffee, and head outside to survey how you have set things up the night before. You see a slight mist of fog, but are content knowing that the sun will chase that fog away and provide the last remaining autumn's warmth.

You smile as you glance over at the grapes you purchased to day before. You tasted them and know that, this year, the wine will be superb.

You finish your last sip of coffee, and head back into the house to grab another one. While in the kitchen, you grab the bagels and assorted things that you plan to set out for your guests. Just then, the doorbell rings, announcing that the first of the crew of family and friends have arrived. Each is carrying a dish of food which is their contribution to the feast later that day.

Now that you have a crew, you are ready to begin. You start by hosing down the equipment and then giving everything a nice spritz of K-meta. The crew knows what to do. They have come every year and no longer need to be told what to do. Without any word, the crew begins by sorting through the grapes, removing any leaves or foreign matter. From there, the grapes are carried to the destemmer.

You have to keep from dancing when you get that first whiff of heaven. That glorious aroma that comes rises up as soon as the grapes are dumped into the destemmer. You marvel in the hypnotic rhythm of the grapes passing through the rollers and screen, and the splat-splat-splat of the newly formed must as it is deposited into a waiting tote.

You then take a moment to survey the fact that all around you are having a great, unique time. In short order, all of the grapes have been processed, and everything has been cleaned and put away. You see that the good times continue. You reward all of your hard workers by opening the best of your past vintages. After a quick toast to this year's vintage, you herd all of the folks to the patio for a late lunch. Good times and laughs continue as more and more corks get pulled.

After everybody has stuffed themselves, you gather to a tent that you have set up (a 30'X10' pop up) for more wine and cigars. Someone has brought a guitar and the next hours are spent singing and having a great time.

The party breaks up in the wee hours of the morning. You yell "see you next week for the pressing!" and you know that they are more than willing to come next week. You happily turn in and dream of the wine to come....

I vote for option #4!

John,
This past Fall was our first crush, not as elaborate or festive as yours.
We actually did our crush Friday evening, when finished, sat out by the fire pit, drinking last years wine.
The picture you paint is a work of art!

Steve

Back