Five Gallon Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatzie

Junior
Reaction score
Want to make apple frozen concentrate wine .Can someone help me out with the ratios I need . How much apple concentrate? How much sugar? I've read so many different things ,your the experts, You would know! any help would be grateful !! Thanks!!

Most concentrate wines need at least 3 cans per gallon, some use 4. If you use more than 3, you might not need additional sugar. The only way to tell is with a hydrometer. Most of these wines are best with a starting sg of no more than 1.080. You might could go a little higher with apple.

Most concentrate wines need at least 3 cans per gallon, some use 4. If you use more than 3, you might not need additional sugar. The only way to tell is with a hydrometer. Most of these wines are best with a starting sg of no more than 1.080. You might could go a little higher with apple.

I agree. Except I start mine at 1.100, by the time it ages out a bit the apple comes through and makes a really good wine.

I use 3 cans and about 2 lbs of sugar per gal - I try to get the SG between 1.075 - 1.090. I've made a half dozen batches for my sweet wine loving girlfriends. Good to drink early.

I use 3 cans and about 2 lbs of sugar per gal - I try to get the SG between 1.075 - 1.090. I've made a half dozen batches for my sweet wine loving girlfriends. Good to drink early.

I suppose it depends on the concentrate, but with every concentrate I've ever used, one can plus 1# 10oz sugar puts me very reliably at 1.086 +/- 0.004

Want to make apple frozen concentrate wine .Can someone help me out with the ratios I need . How much apple concentrate? How much sugar? I've read so many different things ,your the experts, You would know! any help would be grateful !! Thanks!!

If you're wanting to use frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC) from the supermarket, most brands make 48 oz of juice from 1 can of FAJC. Simply follw the instructions on the containers & make the amount of juice you want. There are 128 oz in 1 US gallon, you get to do the math. Don't forget, the sugar will take up some of the total volume.

For added sugar, it depends on what you want your ABV to be in the finished product. The juice alone should give you about (it varies a bit from brand to brand) 5-5.5%, each lb of sugar should give you about 1 gravity point in 5 gallons of must, so a rough estimate for a 12% ABV apple wine would be 7-8lbs sugar & apple juice to 5 gallons. Check with your hydrometer to hit your target OG. Like I said, this is just a ROUGH estimate.

You could also simply add more FAJC in place of some of that sugar, basically "juicing up" the juice. You'll get more apple flavor in your finished wine this way, but be aware that you will also be increasing the acid level by doing so.
Hope this helps.
Regards, GF.

thank you all!! I wound up adding 5 and half pounds sugar 15 can of frozen apple juice Kroger brand 100 % juice . My reading before I added yeast was 1.100. Now it bubbling like crazy ..looks a little cloudy, but from what I understand that to be expected

I have a question regarding Carboy sizes. I made my first 6 GL batch. My secondary fermenter Carboy supposedly was 6 GL. I believe it is somewhat more then that. There was some space. That time I did not top up since it was still fermenting. But I racked this wine recently to another 6 GL Carboy. It has still space more which is more then Before since I lost some juice. I want to wait 2 months before bottling. This time I have to do something to top up. I just used gas that people uses for open bottles to save. I am not sure if it is sufficient. My question is that is there any Carboy around 5.75 GL so that we do not have to top up? Or should I use 5 and 1 GL carboys together instead of 6 GL Carboy? I am not sure how this would help but was just an idea. I would appreciate any comment.

I have a question regarding Carboy sizes. I made my first 6 GL batch. My secondary fermenter Carboy supposedly was 6 GL. I believe it is somewhat more then that. There was some space. That time I did not top up since it was still fermenting. But I racked this wine recently to another 6 GL Carboy. It has still space more which is more then Before since I lost some juice. I want to wait 2 months before bottling. This time I have to do something to top up. I just used gas that people uses for open bottles to save. I am not sure if it is sufficient. My question is that is there any Carboy around 5.75 GL so that we do not have to top up? Or should I use 5 and 1 GL carboys together instead of 6 GL Carboy? I am not sure how this would help but was just an idea. I would appreciate any comment.

You have a chose to top off with a similar wine or go to a smaller vessel or if you have a vacuum pump - hand or electric you can use the Headspace eliminator -
http://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/headspace-eliminator/

It is certainly true that (a) carboys vary, and (b) the "6 gallon" ones are often larger than 6 gallons.

My opinion is that it is best to just top up with a similar wine.

Yes, you can rack down to a 5 gallon carboy plus some wine bottles. Or you can add sanitized marbles. Or Steve's Headspace eliminator. Topping up is probably easiest.

Hello!

Your correct, after stabilizing headspace is not your friend. I just went through this myself. If your talking about the Private Preserve in a can this will get you by, for around 10 bucks. To me it's good used as a backup. Then as Steve said he can supply you with the" Head Space Eliminator" it's Awesome, especially if you have one of his vacuum pumps the "All In One" which is another Great Investment or, some form of vacuuming. It simplifies the whole process. Racking, degassing, even bottling. Then there is topping up with another wine equal to what you have,( probably around 3 liters). The other option is as you say racking down. So if you have a 6 Gallon you'll need a 5 gallon and maybe a half gallon and drink what's left over. lol Or a 3 gallon, a 1gallon and a half gallon and drink what's left. Hope this helps.

Maybe we ARE making "World Class" wines and just don't know it!!! But every time I go to my CAVE (basement) for a glassful of whatever, I think about how wonderfully simple it is to do this without any bells or whistles or over-thinking. Time is free and there's plenty of it! (no need to speed anything up). There will be no price tags on my bottles so no need to call in the Sommelier for a stamp of approval. Been lucky enough thus far in that no one has forwarded any medical bills and I keep getting empty's back!!! (K)eeping (I)t (S)atisfyingly (S)imple :h

Thanks everyone for responding. Tnuscan,yes I used the private preserve. I use it for the wines I drink. It works for me and I thought it might work for carboy too. I lık the idea of sanitized marbels that sour_grape gave. I think I will try that one, it should reduce quite a bit. I took a note of that pump, would be the future investment for me. Too early for me to buy now, I am still trying to learn all process. Thanks a lot everyone.

just finished measuring the alcohol content its right there at 14%
I'm ready to rack(and roll) LOL Thanks everybody
!!!

I sometimes add and sometimes I don't, and fail to notice the difference. If you don't add and there is going to be come headspace, some Camden tablets crushed will help protect the wine.

One more quick question...Now that I have racked the apple wine should I add the potassium sorbate right away and do I need to degass.??..I bought that long whip thing that you use with a drill?btw I had to taste its good I added wood chips to it

The only time I needed to degas was when I bottled before it had fully cleared. If it's clear then the CO2 will not be trapped, and there should not be a problem.

Back