I think the hydrometers I buy are physically attracted to my floor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan1985

Junior
Reaction score
I have now purchased three hydrometers in the past few months and broke the third tonight as I was about to check my Dragon's Blood SG. :slp It's like they are somehow drawn to my floor. :(

I usually have a backup but since I broke the last one I haven't had a chance to pick up another. Someone needs to invent a rubber or plastic hydrometer to save me from this torture. Back to the LHBS tomorrow to buy 2, make that 3. Just ranting. Thanks for listening.

I hear ya, seems to go that way I have 3 and when I get down to one I hurry and buy 3 more. And it goes in spurts you may go a year or more befor you break another one then the cycle repeats itself!

It is hard to believe years ago when I started this hobby and was purchasing my first equipment I was asked "do you want a spare hydrometer". I can remember like it was today I said "I can only use one at a time why would I want a two?"
You can learn something new every day.

Aren that is so true they have great sustain for their work that they can't face us, o notice that every time.Ha! And that is the reason they are always breaking, There trying to escape bit realize that when they reach the floor they have no leg's, and the rest is history.

Last time after breaking mine, which actually wasn't too long ago, I bought two. I remember in a similar thread a few years back someone posting that once you have a spare on hand you'll never again break one.

[Agree. We need them made more durable.]

I have now purchased three hydrometers in the past few months and broke the third tonight as I was about to check my Dragon's Blood SG. :slp It's like they are somehow drawn to my floor. :(

I usually have a backup but since I broke the last one I haven't had a chance to pick up another. Someone needs to invent a rubber or plastic hydrometer to save me from this torture. Back to the LHBS tomorrow to buy 2, make that 3. Just ranting. Thanks for listening.

That's funny sometimes, so am I.

We buy them 5 at a time. Having a large supply of spares does in fact seem to prevent breakage. I've also noticed that breakages do seem to come in clusters. We can go for months with no problems but then when we do break one it seems like we break another one or two within a few days.

I managed to knock my "test jar" with skeeter pee and the hydrometer inside to the floor today, and it somehow did not break. :sh

I will never cry about one of my hydrometers hitting the floor again. I once dropped one when I was removing it from my fermenting pail,it hit the side of the pail and broke,falling into my must.:(

that is the worst luck I have herd of! That is so sad.

Latest posts

Back