getting smell out of siphon hoses

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
Any tips? I washed and siphoned with one step and then did the same thing with kmeta and then soaked them in kmeta overnight....but the inside still smells like the juice. This was after siphoning from primary to secondary. The bung also has the same smell and i can't get that out either. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
LabelPeelers has a nylon draw tube brush (sku 4788) that is 3/8" X 36" that can be use to brush the inside of the tube. Used with Oxiclean, might help get rid of the smell. I just racked a gallon of garlic wine yesterday. Boy did I have a clean up job!!

Thanks...i will try anything. Will racking with a clean and sanitized tubing that still has a juice smell hurt or mess with the wine or its flavor? Or should i just buy new tubing?

Who sniffs their tubing? seriously though, are you using food grade tubing? I hook mine up to the hot water fawcet and just run hot water thru them when done and hang to dry well then pump a KM solution thru them while setting up to rack. You shouldnt have to get new tubing everytime you rack but you should swap it out for new occasionally. WVMJ

I am using the tubing supplied in my kit. I will get the tube brush and see if that works. You don't have to sniff the tubing, it is pretty strong without...thanks.

Who sniffs their tubing? seriously though, are you using food grade tubing? I hook mine up to the hot water fawcet and just run hot water thru them when done and hang to dry well then pump a KM solution thru them while setting up to rack. You shouldnt have to get new tubing everytime you rack but you should swap it out for new occasionally. WVMJ

That's the same thing I do. Rinse good with hot tap water and you will be fine. I've been using the same tubing for 2 years without a problem.

I am using the tubing supplied in my kit. I will get the tube brush and see if that works. You don't have to sniff the tubing, it is pretty strong without...thanks.

Wouldn't it be far cheaper and easier to simply buy a spool of food grade tubing?? Replace that tubing if it is in question...

Latest posts

Back