Saying "Hi" ... 'New' to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
A quick introduction: I've recently developed a taste for wine. It's expanded quickly. I went from drinking beer & gin into wine sometime around November last year.

I've made a small kit of Chardonnay (5L) from the wine-in-10-day box. It was great fun and even the missus had fun at the tasting.

I followed up quickly with 3 kits at the WinExpert store (they did all the work... I'm just waiting for it to age a little). My first kit (Pinot Noir) was bottled two weeks ago with the next two bottled last weekend (Bojo & Pinot Gris).

Having tasted the first kit's results (I had to sneak a bottle): i'm hooked despite the wine being very young (it did taste much fuller on the second day).

I'm at the point that I'm looking to clear some space in the basement and following up with getting equipment to start. And testing out bottles of different varieties to understand what I like to drink. I figured my first three I made would be an easy quick drinking set of wine for the spring/summer and I can follow with some bolder ones with more age.

Please forgive any new questions I may ask.

Welcome to the forum! No need to apologize for your new questions. We all been there and you have to learn somehow. Ask away and everyone will surely answer your questions to the best of their knowledge.

Welcome to the forum you will find a lot of info here.
When clearing that space in the basement add extra room, this hobby has a way of growing. You will soon find there is no limit to the number of carboys, bottles, and storage space you need.

Welcome,
I am a newbie as well and I have already learned far more than I would have ever expected from this site alone. People here are great! The most important thing I have learned so far with this hobby is patience, you have got to have patience, and time:) ...... I have a lot to learn.
Good Luck!!

Welcome to the forum!

Nice post. Lets us know something about you, where you're coming from and where you'd like to go wine making wise.

If you can't quickly find an answer to a question using the search then don't hesitate to post again.

A quick introduction: I've recently developed a taste for wine. It's expanded quickly. I went from drinking beer & gin into wine sometime around November last year.

I've made a small kit of Chardonnay (5L) from the wine-in-10-day box. It was great fun and even the missus had fun at the tasting.

I followed up quickly with 3 kits at the WinExpert store (they did all the work... I'm just waiting for it to age a little). My first kit (Pinot Noir) was bottled two weeks ago with the next two bottled last weekend (Bojo & Pinot Gris).

Having tasted the first kit's results (I had to sneak a bottle): i'm hooked despite the wine being very young (it did taste much fuller on the second day).

I'm at the point that I'm looking to clear some space in the basement and following up with getting equipment to start. And testing out bottles of different varieties to understand what I like to drink. I figured my first three I made would be an easy quick drinking set of wine for the spring/summer and I can follow with some bolder ones with more age.

Please forgive any new questions I may ask.

Welcome to wine!

It's an addictive hobby. :)

There are lots of helpful folks on the forum, all of whom had to start somewhere. We've all been beginners at some point.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Nice post. Lets us know something about you, where you're coming from and where you'd like to go wine making wise.

I've updated my profile to add my location. I'm in Southern Ontario - there are many options for winemaking by local companies around me. I'm surprised I've never paid them any attention.

Perhaps, as a result of my family always drinking sickeningly sweet Vidals, German Rieslings & icewines, I never could get a taste for it.

Since late last year when, I'll say, I 'discovered' wine: I've switch from a "white wine" drinker to enjoying light/medium Reds Zin, Rioja, Bojo, Pinot Noirs, Grenache (Cote du Rhone, etc...) and a random 'something else'. While the missus enjoys light, dry whites (Pinot Gris/Sauv Blanc)

When clearing that space in the basement add extra room, this hobby has a way of growing. You will soon find there is no limit to the number of carboys, bottles, and storage space you need.

I believe you that the rabbit hole can run deep. I'm sure the missus will ensure that it won't at my house.

The room I'm trying to clear out in the basement is cluttered with storage for kids' toys and my tools (my tablesaw and mitersaw are the biggest things that I need to relocate).

Welcome to WMT.. Not a warning, but merely a notice,,,,,,, Eventually we all go to the "Dark Side":sh That is to say most start out with the sweeter Rose' or Whites,, but ultimately find themselves hunting down and consuming (with enthusiasm) Bold, Thick, Incredibly Dry RED WINE Enjoy your stay:b

Welcome to WMT.. Not a warning, but merely a notice,,,,,,, Eventually we all go to the "Dark Side":sh That is to say most start out with the sweeter Rose' or Whites,, but ultimately find themselves hunting down and consuming (with enthusiasm) Bold, Thick, Incredibly Dry RED WINE Enjoy your stay:b

I expect no less.

I do hope I can still enjoy the light fruity reds when I reach that point.

Welcome! Just a hint: when carboys go on sale and you have a lil extra cash don't hesitate to stock em!:h

Welcome to the board! Don't worry about the wife. She'll probably come around to the hobby too! ;)

Welcome to the forum ! Never feel any question is to dumb to ask either. In your makings if in doubt ask 1st ( sometimes later is too late )

Latest posts

Back