Why does this happen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
I spent hours degassing and testing for the pft using the small bottle test and bottled when no gas was present and all was well. I properly killed of the yeast and stabilised and filtered it correctly, yet.............When I open a bottle of wine and pour some out then vacuvin the rest, all these little bubble come racing up to the top and if I shake the bottle and acuvin the bottle by extracting the air using my pump, I get loads of bubbles coming up. I cant taste that the wine has gas in it so what are these bubbles that appear.

Just for a test, I uncorked one bottle, did not pour anything out, I just acuvined it with the vacuum pump and nothing, after I shook the wine slightly, the bubbles came up in force, what is this.

I spent hours degassing and testing for the pft using the small bottle test and bottled when no gas was present and all was well

Too much active degassing can be harmful. You risk introducing O2 while trying to drive out CO2.

I am guessing that you are trying to bottle relatively soon (1-2 months?). Can you let your wine age longer (6-9 months)?

Too much active degassing can be harmful. You risk introducing O2 while trying to drive out CO2.

I am guessing that you are trying to bottle relatively soon (1-2 months?). Can you let your wine age longer (6-9 months)?

Please describe "to much active Degassing" would this be Stirring, or would it include using a vacuum pump also?

Thanks!

Edit: Please look at post #11. Thanks.

Last edited:
sampvt ... can you feel the bubbles on your tongue when you drink it? If not, you're ok.

Steve

sampvt ... can you feel the bubbles on your tongue when you drink it? If not, you're ok.

Steve

There is no mouth feel or tang on the tongue, the wine feels ok on the front of the tongue but it has a bit of a kick at the back of the tongue. Similar to a mild rear mouth kick. My wife says its tastes better than the last lot in terms of fruitiness and taste but it catches a bit at the back of the mouth as its swallowed. In saying that, its not an acidic twang, its more of an excessive fruity zap which I like and she dosent, lol.

I didn't mention active degassing, rickme did. Im uessing he is referring to the way I degass. I first put the mix in a big 50l bucket and degass it with a drill and an attachment purpose built for degassing. I then put a vacuum on a 30l glass carboy and transfer the mix which is under vacuum. I then let this sit for a short while (24hrs) then I use the gravity bottle feed tool to bottle it into demijohns and bulk age for around 3 months then I bottle again using the bottling tool that does not allow air.

I didn't mention active degassing, rickme did. Im uessing he is referring to the way I degass. I first put the mix in a big 50l bucket and degass it with a drill and an attachment purpose built for degassing. I then put a vacuum on a 30l glass carboy and transfer the mix which is under vacuum. I then let this sit for a short while (24hrs) then I use the gravity bottle feed tool to bottle it into demijohns and bulk age for around 3 months then I bottle again using the bottling tool that does not allow air.

Thanks.
I also use a vacuum pump which leaves around 3/8 of an inch, of bubbles.

I also use the drill with attachment (fast stirring effect), Bubbles will be at 1 1/2 inches.

But with the spoon the bubbles will rise twice as much if not, more. 3 to 4 inches. Which strikes me as very odd.

One would think the drill would make the most bubbles. More of a "active degassing", as some one might say.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Please describe "to much active Degassing" would this be Stirring, or would it include using a vacuum pump also?

Primarily stirring, especially with a drill.

That said, I would still try to minimize the agitation of the wine, including racking with a vacuum pump.

That said, I would still try to minimize the agitation of the wine, including racking with a vacuum pump.

Thanks!

This area is where I seem to, fail at understanding, must be that "when it feels right" thing.

Thanks,

Ok, would the Vinmetrica Sc-300 be the best way to know when to stop degassing during the secondary?

Ok, would the Vinmetrica Sc-300 be the best way to know when to stop degassing during the secondary?

No, that would help you measure Ph, SO2, and TA.

If you're using an electric vacuum pump or brake bleeder with a guage, when you can maintain a vacuum of 25 inHg, call it done. As mentioned in other posts, that number could vary based upon your altitude.

Last edited:
No, that would help you measure Ph, SO2, and TA.

If you're using an electric vacuum pump or brake bleeder with a guage, when you can maintain a vacuum of 25 inHg, call it done. As mentioned in other posts, that number could vary based upon your altitude.

I use the AllInOne Maybe I can get a gauge for it.

Does any know if there is a gauge for it??

I would also like to know how many inhg's the pump pulls if anyone knows. Ive been told its near 25 but no confirmation as yet.

My home made setup is a fresherpak pro vacuum food saver machine which has an outlet for the purpose of extracting air from individual purpose built food containers. This particular machine has a .8 bar or 34 inhg suction pump. I use it to suck the air out of a 25l carboy and then through a valve I allow the tube to syphon out my wine into the vacuumed carboy from another 25l glass carboy. I simply then swap them round and run the mix 4 times back and forward before bulk aging in glass demijohns.

This is the same way the allinone pump works and my setup cost only $85 all in with everything.

Back