So2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
I've got a 20 liter vadai. I'm going to order a vinmetrica when i have the money. In the meantime, I have no way to measure free sulfites, but plan to age around 3 months in the barrel, which is almost neutral. Does anyone know approximately how much k meta I should add and the frequency of adding to keep the wine safe, approximately 50 ppm?

I've got a 20 liter vadai. I'm going to order a vinmetrica when i have the money. In the meantime, I have no way to measure free sulfites, but plan to age around 3 months in the barrel, which is almost neutral. Does anyone know approximately how much k meta I should add and the frequency of adding to keep the wine safe, approximately 50 ppm?

I've got three barrels and just recently filled them. I do have the ability to test for free SO2, being pre warned that levels drop pretty quickly in a barrel, leaving wine unprotected, and have seen it first hand. Put my first wine in at 70 ppm, two weeks later it was 35 ppm. Based on the wine Ph, 50 ppm was my desired level. Boosted it back up to 100 ppm for the last two weeks of its stay in the barrel.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "you should add "x" every two weeks" kind of an answer. Best advice, gain the ability to test Ph and free SO2, because these are very important to the continued health of your wine. Perhaps someone with more barrel experience can offer you a "rule of thumb".

Thanks. I've been adding 1/4 tsp every month in hopes this is in the ball park.

Latest posts

Back