WineXpert Vieux Chateau du Roi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Winexpert (Selection) Vieux Chateau du Roi. I was thinking of adding it to my list of wines to make.

Anyone tried the Winexpert (Selection) Vieux Chateau du Roi. I was thinking of adding it to my list of wines to make.

Yes, it's one of, if not the best (Selection) kits we made. But it certainly won't compare to the Eclipse kits you're making.

Since this thread is here, wouldn't want to waste space and start another thread. Just mixed up this kit and pitched the yeast. Only things I did different was to substitute the EC-1118 with RC 212, used Go Ferm to rehydrate the yeast, and added 3 lbs of used Pinot Noir skins from this springs juice bucket and grapes. SG is 1.085 @ 82*F, oak smells really good (like it always does), put it under airlock already since I have fruit flies all over the premises (let some bananas get soft for muffins, doh).

6-14-16_Vieux_du_Roi.jpg

I made this according to the instructions but added 30g of oak cubes left over from the Stag's Leap merlot I did. Bottled it a couple of weeks ago after aging for 3 months. Tastes really good already. Quite dark and full of flavour already. Looking forward to seeing how this one matures.

I made this according to the instructions but added 30g of oak cubes left over from the Stag's Leap merlot I did. Bottled it a couple of weeks ago after aging for 3 months. Tastes really good already. Quite dark and full of flavour already. Looking forward to seeing how this one matures.

It's got 30 grams of dust and 30 grams of slivers, so I'm gonna hold off adding any more oak until I can sample it in the fall. If it needs something more I've got a few ounces of Hungarian med+ cubes and could add an ounce or so. Aiming to bottle this one next Spring if I can hold off.

Aiming to bottle this one next Spring if I can hold off.

Don't be like Craig........ :)

Man-Drinking-From-Carboy.png

Don't be like Craig........ :)

Very close to the truth. I just tip the carboy with my glass strategically placed so I don't spill any. Gotta watch the better bottle type carboys or you can ruin them, so I only carboy tip when they are glass. And they don't grown like the cows do if you tip them.

Winexpert market the Vieux Chateau du Roi as an early drinker. How would people interpret that? 3 months, 6, 12? Just wondering how long to lay them down before they should be drunk?>

Winexpert market the Vieux Chateau du Roi as an early drinker. How would people interpret that? 3 months, 6, 12? Just wondering how long to lay them down before they should be drunk?>

I'd recommend 12+. But you should definitely try a bottle at 3, 6, 9, etc. to see how it ages, and take notes.

Latest posts

Back