For a few dollars more???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnuscan

Tnuscan=Tennesseean
Reaction score
I've read that a lot of people order their juice ,(from grapes), and it is fermenting when they receive it. Why couldn't they (sellers) k-meta and inoculate with the yeast of your choice????

I've read that a lot of people order their juice ,(from grapes), and it is fermenting when they receive it. Why couldn't they (sellers) k-meta and inoculate with the yeast of your choice????

It all depends where you get it from and what the retailer requests. Some processors always added yeast from the beginning. Now there customers rely on it. They are able to bring the pail home, warm it up and the juice takes off. However if the pail warms up anywhere during transit, there is a good chance it'll take off depending on sulfate levels.Additionally it depends on how long the juice has been sitting in the pails. Was it three days or three months? It's always best to get it as soon as possible if you can.

Other retailers request the pails without yeast. They educate the customers (that don't know) how to make wine and pick a yeast. These pails are less likely to start as quickly as those inoculated. The big factor is the processor having enough S02 in the juice to begin with but not so much that it won't start fermentation when you want it to.

Even if you get pails with yeast already added, you can make a good strong yeast starter and add it to the pail. This will become the dominate yeast.

It all depends where you get it from and what the retailer requests. Some processors always added yeast from the beginning. Now there customers rely on it. They are able to bring the pail home, warm it up and the juice takes off. However if the pail warms up anywhere during transit, there is a good chance it'll take off depending on sulfate levels.Additionally it depends on how long the juice has been sitting in the pails. Was it three days or three months? It's always best to get it as soon as possible if you can.

Other retailers request the pails without yeast. They educate the customers (that don't know) how to make wine and pick a yeast. These pails are less likely to start as quickly as those inoculated. The big factor is the processor having enough S02 in the juice to begin with but not so much that it won't start fermentation when you want it to.

Even if you get pails with yeast already added, you can make a good strong yeast starter and add it to the pail. This will become the dominate yeast.

Thanks!

I now have a better understanding. I will do more study on making a good yeast starter to dominate the pre inoculation.

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back